Icon problem

Reaction score
I downloaded an app and installed it. Once done, my applications icon on the dock changed to the icon of that app, which is alphabetically listed first.

I removed the app and the applications icon then changed to the next application, which is now listed first alphabetically.

I "got info" on the applications icon, and the original icon is shown there and in the Finder list, but the first icon within applications shows up on only the dock instead of the proper applications icon, even after a system re-boot.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No suggestion, just a solution: Right click on the icon in the Dock, choose Display as Folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
"Applications" icon in the dock is actually a FOLDER. It's located inside the boarder line of the dock (right side). Folders behave differently in the dock in terms of icon appearance.

- right click on that dock icon.
- display as.
- Folder-----> if you want to view it as a folder icon.
Stack------> if you want to display what's inside that folder (content that's first in line will have it's icon appear).

SAME PROCEDURE AS @toMACsh said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
"Applications" icon in the dock is actually a FOLDER. It's located inside the boarder line of the dock (right side). Folders behave differently in the dock in terms of icon appearance.

Well, to be picky, 'cause I'm just that way, Apple calls a folder that you drag to the Dock by the moniker "Stack". So actual folders stay in the Finder either in another folder or on the Desktop. Those from the Windows world might call everything in the Dock a "shortcut", as they behave the same way as those do in Windows. Some from the Mac world refer to them as aliases, because they behave that way. I really don't know if there is an official term for an application icon in the Dock. But, as with the Stacks, don't fret if you "lose" one, as they are easy to put back in the Dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.