Quicken

Reaction score
I recently bought a new iMac and I'm really enjoying it. As a windows user for years, and depended on Quicken for my financial work. I've been told by one Mac user that Quicken for Mac is a waste of time. If you've used Quicken for Mac, I'm interested in getting some other perspectives on its suitability.

John F

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Intuit has not been especially good to the Mac as most users of Quicken and QuickBooks will probably tell you. A search of our forums should garner lots of feedback for you to make up your mind.

Take note that you can always run the Windows version of Quicken in a virtual machine. (Parallels, Fusion, or the free VirtualBox)

Reaction score
I also have been a die hard windows user since Dos. :)
I have been using Quicken since 1996. I made the switch to Mac about a month ago and have NEVER looked back. I love this OS and have never regretted it. I did some research and from what I understood, Quicken for Mac is terrible. So I went with parallels and loaded windows 7 and then loaded Quicken for windows. This is so cool how it all works together. it is like having 2 computers in 1. Mountain Lion and Windows 7.

C

chas_m

That is one perfectly good solution.

Another is that Quicken FINALLY updated Quicken 2007 to run on Lion (and Mountain Lion) and from what I've been told it works fine for most people. It's not as up-to-date as the latest Windows version but that doesn't appear to matter to many. So you could use that if it supports the features you need.

Another option of course is "find something else." The Mac has several good financial programs that, depending on your needs, could replace Quicken. A lot of people I know seem to like Mint.com (owned by Quicken) and iBank (an alternative) as options for them. There are other programs as well.

Where the Mac falls the most short in this area, apparently, is in providing a superior or equal alternative to Quickbooks, which is an accounting app aimed at small businesses. There hasn't been a Quickbooks update for Mac in years and I'm told the experience is vastly inferior to the Windows version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where the Mac falls the most short in this area, apparently, is in providing a superior or equal alternative to Quickbooks, which is an accounting app aimed at small businesses. There hasn't been a Quickbooks update for Mac in years and I'm told the experience is vastly inferior to the Windows version.

Not only is it inferior but Intuit has infuriated Mac users by charging them $195.00 for the latest update - even to those users who were recent buyers of the previous version. I agree with the comments above about switching to iBank.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.