slow new Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi ,

I just bought a new Macbook Pro 2011 model in Taiwan and its REALLY SLOW!! especially when I use Photoshop and Lightroom which is the main reason why I bought this computer.

Any advice on how to speed it up would be great!!

Thank you !

CC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How much RAm is installed and how much free hard disk space is left

Reaction score
Those programs, especially LR, can bog the system while they get their libraries set up.

Reaction score
I have a 4GB RAM and a LOT of free space.

What do you think is wrong?

CC

LR and some other photo programs create multiple copies of many large image files and associated editing information.

Run Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities to see what is tying up your system.

Sometimes LR can need many, many hours of indexing and processing. After that things normalize. If that is what is happening, Activity Monitor will help you spot it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Activity monitor screen shot

Here s the activity monitor screen shot , hope this helps to understand my problem better!
Maybe lightroom 4 is taking a while to process but I installed it 10 days ago and it was working fine when I installed it but it has slowed down a lot since then !

Thank you so much !!

CC

Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 9.30.54 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thats a high page in/out do you have other apps open at the same time.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have lightroom and photoshop open at the same time, along with safari and sometimes i tunes... shouldnt the macbook be able to handle all this?

Reaction score
I have lightroom and photoshop open at the same time, along with safari and sometimes i tunes... shouldnt the macbook be able to handle all this?

Your apps are using up all of your ram and then some. Hence the huge amount of swapping. Your mac is using your hard drives as additional ram, and they are much slower as you have noticed.

You can try tweaking those programs for increased efficiency (check various photo forums and not mac forums for that). It's more of an app issue than a mac issue in other words. You might think about snapping in some more memory (cheap).

Does anyone write tight code anymore. ;-(

Reaction score
RAM upgrade would definitely fix this! Not sure how much your MBP can take, but it's probably pretty cheap to max out and will solve your issues.

Reaction score
RAM upgrade would definitely fix this! Not sure how much your MBP can take, but it's probably pretty cheap to max out and will solve your issues.

Yeah LR seems to desire at least 6 gb or more. Think about that. To process some images that are way, way smaller…it nearly has to take over your whole laptop. Not very efficient really.

Think about the early PC days…IBM XT came with what…a 5 or 10 mb hard drive. And you could run a small company on it. Now one photo is larger than that, and it can tie up a laptop worlds faster, with multiple cores, 64 instead of 8 or 16 bits, yada yada...

OP
C
Reaction score
thank you very much !

So will an 8 GB RAM suffice or should I get the 12GB

What about increasing the SSD ?

And how much will this cost?

Will it be better to get it done from a computer store or go to an apple store?

Thank you
CC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Go to crucial and let it scan your system and it will give you options on both the ram and HD but unless I am mistaken you can max out at 16g.

C

chas_m

What osxx is advising is to visit crucial.com, a RAM dealer.

If you're going to use Photoshop and Lightroom, I would suggest you get as much RAM as you can afford. Both of these programs like as much RAM as you can give them.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you! Ive checked on crutial and it suggests a 16 GB RAM too ...

I think ive found the solution to my slow mac

= )

CC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.