Newbie Google Docs Question

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So let me start by stating that I'm awful at computers and need some help. I'm at work currently where I received an excel attachment from a colleague, and my job was to restate/summarize/translate (from spanish to english) most of the phrases and numbers inside each individual cell.

I finished the work in google docs, and shot it back to my colleague. He opens the attachment in excel to find nothing but an excel spreadsheet with the top line complete, and every line that I had worked on (#'s 2-361) were completely missing. As in the row count went from 1 immediately to 362. I tried downloading the google doc into excel, to no avail. Excel froze up and died. I tried putting it on a flash drive, but it wouldn't upload to the flash drive because I got codes (43, and 36) saying the file was corrupted and wouldn't read or that the flash drive wouldn't link up. I need to get this in soon, and I don't want to look like an idiot in front of my boss. Is there any reason y'all can think of as to why the values would just disappear? It's very possible that my software is outdated, but I plan on heading to the Apple store very soon to get a new edition of MS office.

Many thanks. Sorry for the long-ish post.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm having a hard time understanding what you did. Why didn't you work on the Excel document with your copy of Excel? Why use Google Docs?

What version of Excel was the document created in and which version of Excel do you have?

OP
C
Reaction score
My Excel is part of MS Office 2004 and version 11.6.The Excel the document was created in is from 2007. I didn't use it because for whatever reason, my computer tends to dislike Office programs. Roughly half the time I get a document it's followed by ".docx" or ".xlsx" which I'm sure you know means that the files can't be read properly so I just use google docs and generally don't have any issues converting them afterwards or sending them out as google docs.

Also, a new development. I noticed that in the cells I was changing, there seemed to be some kind of formula or code. I fear that by replacing all of these words with their english counterparts I corrupted the file. Thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, you probably did introduce some corruption to the document when you did the translating but it should still have picked it up errors and all. I'm not crazy about using Google Docs because it's not always compatible with MS Office documents.

You really need to upgrade that version of Office. 2004 is strictly PPC coded and won't run in Lion or ML. Either that or opt for the free Open Office or LibreOffice. Also iWork Numbers can open and edit Excel documents.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! As it turned out, for some reason the missing rows all had a height of "0" so we couldn't see if they actually existed or not. My coworkers all had issues loading that particular file on their computers as well, so it's very possible that the company who made it (in another hemisphere, might I add) may have been using a different format or style that had corrupted it. I'm glad to have it fixed and thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.