On-board sound of iBook & Powerbook for Reason 3.0

N

nacelle

Hiya!

I have recently moved over to Mac, and am currrently using a dual processer 1.8ghx Powermac, with 2 GB ram and pleanty of HDD space. I am a music producer and have got on brilliantly with the on-board sound of the G5 powermac...there is very low latency and have had no problem with the buffer.

I am looking at getting an ibook or a powerbook to use when away from the studio. i will only really be using it now and again. if possible i would like to use Reason on it, ideally with the same low latency on board sound.

Basically i want to know if the ibook and powerbook's have a good enought built in soundcard to handle this...i am probably more interested in the iBook, partly due to finance situation, but need to know if they can handle running Reason and have a USB midi contoller keyboard plugged in, and having really low latency....!!! If they cant, can the powerbooks!

thanks in advance!

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook super
i have a 1.33 ghz g4 with 768mb ram and its no probs to run reason 2.5 on my ibook,

the new ibooks with maxed out ram and optimise performance will be more than suitable for your needs

hows 3.0? worth upgrading?

OP
N

nacelle

yeah, definately worth the upgrade! The Combinator is an awesome bit of kit!

My main concern with using it on an ibook/powerbook is that the latency between me pressing a key on my midi keyboard and the sound being played by Reason will be too big to be able to play the keyboard. like i said, my powermac is fine, but will the ibook soundcard be able to take it???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook super
mine goes fine with my e-keys midi keyboard
any i book g4 with around 1gb of ram is all you need

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.