Time Capsule

Reaction score
I have just bought an iMac with a 1 terabyte hard drive. I am now about to embark on the purchase of a Time Capsule.

What size should I be purchasing? Is the 2TB drive sufficient or should I opt for the 3TB?

Is there a rule of thumb formula for the size a backup drive should be?

Reaction score
I don't know how much of a "rule of thumb" it is, but I would never get a backup disk that wasn't at least twice the size of the primary. Ultimately this comes down to how many historic versions you want to keep on your backups. The larger the backup disk, the more history you can keep.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thank you.

I am unlikely to want to keep anything over 6 months old, so twice the size of the disk drive is probably sufficient I think.

Of course, at the moment I cannot conceive of fIlling up a drive of 1 TB, but then I thought that about the 160 GB i had on the macbook, and I am now considering a new hard drive for that!

Anyway, thanks for replying.:)

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, my first computer came with a 20MB hard drive, and I thought that I would never fill it up. These days, I work with single photographs that are far larger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.