OSX Server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 3.1 ghz 16GB ram mid 2011 OSX 10.8
I have 5 macs in my household not to mention 2 iPhones & 2 iPads so I decided that so as to manage the running and the software OSX Server could be worthwhile especially at such a low price .
So far I have had one go at the installation and managed to stop my wifi network I have an ADSL router pugged into a Time Capsule base station which then is boosted around the apartment with firstly an Airport Extreme then three Airport Expresses , the chosen computer for the server did have wifi but the rest of the network did not.
It asked for a name and password none of which seemed to work out of the ones I was aware of . I had named the system home server.local .
I have read articles that mention creating static ip's which I assume I do through airport utility then I have read that creating a corporate Apple ID is needed so I have done that then I read that I could get a free SSL certificate from start com which I have done .
Now I am a little confused as to which way to go I have uninstalled the server for the moment so the other users on my network can have wifi so now I could do with a little advice for the next try.
I realize that it will mean I have to learn a lot but if I could get it installed and still have a wifi network running whilst I tweak by trial & error the finer points of the server that would at least be a start.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You need to disconnect the server app from Wifi and shift it to ethernet before the Server install (if you can)

You need to set its IP address in System preferences > Network and assign its Ethernet ip and Use DCHP with manual address and give it a high number like XXX.XXX.X.200

If you are setting up a local only server then SSL Certificates may not be neccessary but wont do any harm

I have written a few blog posts but the ones so far concentrate on setting up a public server, but take a look at them anyway

OS X Lion Server Part 01

I haven't finished my series yet but if you need further help take a look at Todd Olthoff's videos

Todd Olthoff: Mac OS 10.7 Lion (Home) Server - YouTube

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 3.1 ghz 16GB ram mid 2011 OSX 10.8
Thats promising stuff I have one further question . My Second mac was a macpro which died after 4 years use this was I believe due to it not sleeping since I always had network activity so the processors worked continuously ; since that unfortunate incident I am alway careful about allowing my main mac an iMac to sleep iStat menus tell me the uptime and actual running time - which I always like to see a big difference between the two .
My question is if I have osx server installed can I put my iMac to sleep ; I ask this since my first aborted run of osx server I realised it was not going to sleep any longer - this morning I went as far as reinstalling Mountain Lion which sorted this out .
As inexpensive as osx server is if I cannot put my computer to sleep then it would seem too high a price to pay for a home server.
Or was this simple a glitch in my first instal of Mountain Lion?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.