What system to get?

A

ajstephe

Hey guys, first post on here- I am looking to switch from Windows to Mac. I have finally got tired of the poor stability of windows machines! I am looking to get a laptop but which one would suit my needs.

I will be using it for word processing, surfing, music and a medium amount of video editing(nothing too fancy) can anyone suggest a good set up and what system would be best for me.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Well, what's you're budget? That usually can easily define the type of Mac to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
ajstephe said:
Hey guys, first post on here- I am looking to switch from Windows to Mac. I have finally got tired of the poor stability of windows machines! I am looking to get a laptop but which one would suit my needs.

I will be using it for word processing, surfing, music and a medium amount of video editing(nothing too fancy) can anyone suggest a good set up and what system would be best for me.

Cheers

If you are looking for a laptop then there is only the iBook or Powerbook so it would depend on your budget. If you hadnt of mentioned video editing I would have said the 12" versions of either depending on your budget. However, as you have mentioned video editing, you will pronbably need the superdrive option (dvd burner) to get idvd and the most out of iMovie.

If you therfore need SD, you are probably looking at the 14" iBook or any of the PB range. Some people will say that the 12" PB in its current format is like the ibook dressed differently but I am not sure. personally So it may only be worth going for the PB if you can afford the 15" version.

Anyway, whatever your choice, I would suggest upgrading ram to at least 1gb so configure this into your budget. I would look independently for this if you are looking to buy your machine direct from apple as they seem to be very expensive..

Hope this helps.

OP
A

ajstephe

Thanks for your help. I was looking at approx £1000 to spend think that is about US1700. Can i use any ram or does it have to be a specific brand?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.