apps that start up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
Is there a list/folder that lists the apps that are started automatically when the computer starts up? I have a couple that I would like to remove from the start up list because I do not use them every time I start up the computer. If I need them I can just click on the app symbol when I need them. I am not talking about apps that are still open when you shut down, these are apps that even when quit they start automatically when the system is started.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Open System Preferences. Under the Users & Groups/Accounts (depending on OS) section, Select Login Items at the top and everything set to start at login will be listed.

C

chas_m

An often simpler way to manage this as follows:

1. Start up your Mac. Let the apps open automatically.
2. Once open, click and hold on the icon in the dock. Choose Options, and IF there is a checkmark next to "Open at Login" select that again to UNcheck it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Could we be dealing with the new Apps-reopen-from-last-session "feature" of Lion here?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither method will give you a complete picture of what's starting up when you login. The best way - and it's a bit more involved is to:

Click on the Apple menu, select "About this Mac", select "More Info", select "System Report". Scroll on down to "Software". Click on "Startup Items". This will also show items that are starting up from the Library Startup folder in addition to what was mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Neither method will give you a complete picture of what's starting up when you login. The best way - and it's a bit more involved is to:

Click on the Apple menu, select "About this Mac", select "More Info", select "System Report". Scroll on down to "Software". Click on "Startup Items". This will also show items that are starting up from the Library Startup folder in addition to what was mentioned above.

I have a folder for a ndas that I no longer use in the Library startup folder.
Is it safe to delete this?.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a folder for a ndas that I no longer use in the Library startup folder. Is it safe to delete this?. Thanks

Yes, it should be. But let it sit in the Trash for awhile to make sure that it can be deleted without impacting anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Thanks chscag,
Will give it a try

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.