Thinking about switching...

M

MazG

I have used DOS/Windows based PCs for the last 15 years. I have never used a Mac. After my last PC purchase, a Media Center PC from HP, I have had nothing but trouble with the computer which has finally triggered me to think about switching to a Mac. The phrase "it just works" really appeals to me at this point.

So my questions are:
1) I have looked at the iMac as this seems to be the most similar to a Media Center PC. Are there any options to add a TV Tuner card to record TV (i.e. PVR), or capture analog digital?

2) Will the Mac work with USB peripherals: external hard drive, digital camera, Sony Clie? Will the Mac work with my Netgear wireless router automatically?

3) I keep hearing about Windows compatibility. Is there any way to run Windows applications on a Mac? I know that this defeats the purpose, but there are some software applications that aren't available for Mac (for example, professional-level genealogy program).

TIA,
MazG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
So my questions are:
1) I have looked at the iMac as this seems to be the most similar to a Media Center PC. Are there any options to add a TV Tuner card to record TV (i.e. PVR), or capture analog digital?

Check out Elgato Systems.

2) Will the Mac work with USB peripherals: external hard drive, digital camera, Sony Clie? Will the Mac work with my Netgear wireless router automatically?

Every Mac ships with standard USB 2.0 ports (backward compatible, of course), and if the drivers are available (which on most products is true) it will run.

3) I keep hearing about Windows compatibility. Is there any way to run Windows applications on a Mac? I know that this defeats the purpose, but there are some software applications that aren't available for Mac (for example, professional-level genealogy program).

There are a few, such as Virtual PC for Mac, however they are generally very slow (I have a friend with a dual 2.5 ghz Powermac G5 and Virtual PC usually gives him results somewhere in the 500 mz range). However, you will find that alot of programs you'd think wouldn't be available for Mac are actually better when used on it (Microsoft Office for Mac for one).

Is it in any way possible to keep your Windows machine and use it as a second comp for Windows only programs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.