Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Right guys, before I go any further, I want to say that I have tried searching under all the terms I could think of about this subject but as its 2am and my brain stops working at a least 10pm, I havent found the answer but know that it has been discussed on many occassions...

I have been set on getting the new iMac 20" since they released the most recent one. Having thought and thought even more, I am not sure if the machine is really the one I need.

I am looking for a machine with SD on and a fair amount of HD space as I seem to fill the 30gb on my ibbok fairly rapidly. I already have iSight and therefore feel that I would only be buying the imac because it is cheaper for me than to buy a mac mini with a nice 20" display.

I know that I could probably get a config for a couple of hundred £ less but lose the G5 chip and the niceties that you get which you dont in the mac mini. Having thought about it further, I think that I am going to proceed with getting a mini and hooking it up to one of my spare 32" widescreen tv and with the money I have saved, use that to buy additional ram and possibly external HD for more space should I need to at a later date.

My first Question is.. Would I be OK using my mini of a 32"widescreen tv (i understand I need to get the connection seperate) as far as resolution goes and is there anything else I should consider - apart from space?

Second Q is (which is what I was searching for) If the rumours are to believed that the mini could be intel chipped on Jan 10th, would I be eligible for the free uprgrade if I had bought my mini within 14days prior to the announcement?

Anyway guys, thanks for any input on this?

Reaction score
homer_j said:
would I be eligible for the free uprgrade if I had bought my mini within 14days prior to the announcement?

No.

Your 32in widescreen TV probably doesn't support resolutions that high. I know I wouldn't want to do any work on a screen that big running a low resolution.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
The reason I am wanting to get a desktop is so I can start burnig some DVD's of my recent trip and I want to start having a play around with dvd studio pro.

I really didnt want to buy a machine for the things that I already have like isight but I guess that I could sell my existing one. I also didnt want to purchase the mini if it was going to get changed on jan 10th.

I guess I will be best waiting until Macworld and see what is released and then make my decision on what machine will be best.

Just out of curiosity. would my 24" widescreen be better? I am not sure how you work out this resolution stuff..

Thanks again

B

badmojo

I agree with mynameis. Double-check with Apple before you make the commitment.

Reaction score
homer_j said:
dvd studio pro.

If you are going to spend $500 on an Application, then I really thing you would be better off going with the faster system so you can fully take advantage of it.

Most TVs don't make very good computer monitors. Think about how much a 21in tube monitor costs compared to a 21in tube television...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.