Backing up Original versions of Photos to External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi All, I've searched (and are still searching) but cant find a definitive answer so am trying my luck with a new thread.

I switched from PC to iMac about 2.5 years ago. I mainly use it for photos (iPhoto '11) and Video (iMovie).

I am now looking to backup my photos and videos with the aim of :
1) having 2 backup copies (one onsite and one offsite)
2) being able to delete older video/photos from my iMac to free up space.

I have not used TimeMachine based on the thinking that if it is like Windows, I cannot retrieve individual videos or photos. Also based on expectation that if I delete it from my iMac, it will get deleted from the backup. If I am wrong here, please correct me.

I have 2 x 2TB external Hard Drives formatted for Mac OS (Journaled). I understand that I can't share with Windows. I dont mind.

I have so far (I believe) copied the iMovie events and projects across and hope and believe I have this sorted.

What I am looking for help with is how to:
Copy all my photos to an external hard drive so that I can Delete from the iMac photos which I currently do not need whilst maintaining the original versions on the external hard drives in case I want to access it later or something happens to my iMac

Any assistance greatly appreciated (and if you think I am approaching this from the wrong angle feel free to suggest a different tactic)... ty ty ty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have not used TimeMachine based on the thinking that if it is like Windows, I cannot retrieve individual videos or photos. Also based on expectation that if I delete it from my iMac, it will get deleted from the backup. If I am wrong here, please correct me.
You can retrieve individual files. The Time Machine app on your Mac accesses the Time Machine backup and shows you a Finder window and a date slider that lets you see backuped up files across the time period.
When you delete something it won't be included in the next TM backup but it will still be there for some time (until the drive runs out of space to do a new backup then oldest backups are deleted first).
However, this is not a long term archive type of backup.

I have 2 x 2TB external Hard Drives formatted for Mac OS (Journaled). I understand that I can't share with Windows. I dont mind.

I have so far (I believe) copied the iMovie events and projects across and hope and believe I have this sorted.

What I am looking for help with is how to:
Copy all my photos to an external hard drive so that I can Delete from the iMac photos which I currently do not need whilst maintaining the original versions on the external hard drives in case I want to access it later or something happens to my iMac

The easiest method is to copy your whole iPhoto library to the external. You can always hold option as you start iPhoto and this will let you select a library. You can then choose your backup and acess your photos.

Alternatively you can open up the iPhoto Library 'package' and just copy the originals to an external.

Or you can select the photos you want in iPhoto and export them to folders on the external drive.

Another thing to consider is a full Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner back of your entire Mac to external.

Lots of options

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you mrplow.

Since my post I have been researching Time Machine and while it is much better than windows backup, like you said, it doesn't provide the Archive type backup I seek.

I have reservations about copying the whole iPhoto Library as I saw on a forum something about messing up the "library" and not being able to retrieve some files.

I am interested in the option of "open up the iPhoto Library 'package' and just copy the originals to an external". By this do you mean: Open iPhoto. Open event. Select photos. Go File>Export and change Kind to 'Original' then click export?

Alternatively I like the idea of copying and exporting but not sure what you mean (as in how).

Again, thank you for your guidance.. it is REALLY appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have reservations about copying the whole iPhoto Library as I saw on a forum something about messing up the "library" and not being able to retrieve some files.
I'd argue copying any file to anywhere else has inherent risks. I'm not aware of any recurrent issues particularly related to the iPhoto library. You can always use a file sync tool. This compares files byte for byte as it copies. Also, always close iPhoto completely to avoid file in use issues.

Copying Originals from the iPhoto Library package - let me Preface this by saying that messing inside the library package is how most people mess up their libraries. However, we're all adults here and you make your own decisions :)

Right click on iPhoto Library - choose Show Package Contents.
Finder will open into the iPhoto library where you’ll see a folder called Originals.
Drag this folder to your external USB Hard Drive. I'd suggest into a folder called iPhoto Originals backup nn-nn-nnnn
Please note: this just backups up the originals and you can't restore in the same way. To restore these back to the library you'll have to add them to iPhoto as new images. Copying back into the library package will cause all kinds of mis-matches and general hullabaloo.

Alternatively I like the idea of copying and exporting. Can you please confirm for me that it is a matter of opening up the 'event' in iPhoto, copying the photos, and pasting them in the relevant folder? Also will this copy the edited version or the original version?
You just select an Event and choose export to folder.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions and clarifications.

Although it might be a little (or lot) more tedious, I think I'm going to try the copy and export option. Due to the stupid number of photos I have, this will enable me to label the folders so that when I go searching I have some hope of finding what I am looking for.

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you Google around there are Applescripts that will export all events to folders for you in one go.

Just for info:
I'm sure I'll get a little kick for suggesting this but. I use iPhoto and Picasa together. It's a 'little' more work but is very flexible.

All my photos are in folders. When I grab images from my iPhone/Cameras/Cards I import them into a folder with an appropriate name "John's 12th Birthday" etc. This is a quick and simple process. The import is done using the tool built into Picasa and it's smart enough not to import duplicates if I haven't cleared my cameras card down etc.

Because I like the integration of iPhoto with the rest of the iLife and iWork apps (but not the way it handles events), I have a folder script that imports images into iPhoto but it's set not to copy the images into it's library but to leave them in place. This way I don't get duplicated data but I do keep a well named, easily archivable, easily searchable photo library.
Picasa also lets me auto-sync my images to my Google webspace, providing a 'no-brainer' backup as I go along. I'm guessing as time goes on Apple 'may' offer a a similar full library online back into iCloud for those who buy extra space.

So my backup regime is my usual Time Machine backup, my automatic online backup and an adhoc copy of the whole folder structure (a one click Automator app that syncs to an external drive).

It's not for everyone but it gives me the best of both worlds (the integration of iPhoto and the flexibility of a 'traditional' folder structure).

Reaction score
hi
i just found this very useful thread and would liek to ask some follow up questions.
I use Lightroom to capture my photo files into folders much like you use Picasa. But could you share how you do your folder script so I could add the photo into iPhoto without copying the originals?

Thanks you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first thing to do is to change the iPhoto preferences so that files aren't moved on import they are left in the current location.

Open Automator and create a new Folder Action script. You'll see "Folder Action receives files and folders added to" - Select "Other" from the drop down list and navigate to the folder you add your photos to.
Select Photos from the left pane, then import into iPhoto. There are several options about which album you use etc. That's up to you.

Then save and quit Automator.

Now if anything ever changes in the folder you selected it will trigger the script.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Automator is a built-in application that you can find in the Applications folder. Alternatively for quick access to this and any application you hold CMD and hit the space bar the Spotlight search bar will appear top-right (you can also open this by clicking the Magnifying glass in that corner too).
In this box start typing Automator and a list will appear. Click or press enter on Automator to open it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.