Macbook Pro, 2011 model

Reaction score
Hi Can any one tell me please how to reset my Macbook Pro back ti the factory settings please, bought of a freind and want to start fresh!

Thanks
Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming your MBP is running OS X Lion or Mountain Lion:

Reboot the machine and as soon as you hear the POST chime (Bong!) hold down the Option key until you see a choice of boot options on the screen.

Choose the Recovery Partition to boot from by selecting it and pressing enter. Once the machine has booted to Recovery, select Disk Utility. From Disk Utility, select to erase the hard drive and format it as Mac OS X Extended Journaled. Make sure the GUID scheme is selected (it should be by default) and press apply.

Once that finishes, go back to the main Recovery menu and select to install Lion (actually I recommend Mountain Lion). Note - that you will have to pay for either a copy of Lion ($30) or Mountain Lion ($19.99). You will need your Apple ID and Password. If you don't have one, make sure you get one before starting all this.

If you need further help, post back and someone will jump in and assist.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Another option is to purchase and download ML before doing the reformat (obviously you will need your own Apple ID and Password to do this) and create a bootable USB drive. You can then Option Boot to it and reformat and reinstall as previously suggested.

Directions on preparing the Mountain Lion USB Drive are contained in the Mountain Lion BLOG Article. I you need help finding them post back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great suggestion from "Razormac"!

C

chas_m

I would have said that it would be BEST to let the new owner buy the OS under their own iTunes account ...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would have said that it would be BEST to let the new owner buy the OS under their own iTunes account ...

The OP is the new owner . . . hence my statement regarding his need to have an account to purchase ML.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.