Mountain Lion is downloading

Reaction score
Mountain Lion is downloading now. Is there a way to view the progress it is making? How long is normal? What will appear on my MBP when the download is complete; and will it automatically re-boot with the new OS?:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be viewing a blue progress bar on your screen plus a read out of how much time remains until the download is completed. Once the download finishes, the machine will reboot. It's during the reboot cycle that Mountain Lion will be installed. After it's installed the machine will boot to a normal desktop.

OP
H
Reaction score
Viewing a circular icon of a mountain lion's head, and a label, "Downloading...". If I click on it, label changes to "paused". If i 2-finger it, nothing happens. Nine other icons appear; all are programs I have installed that are not Apple (e.g. Firefox, Blackberry, etc). It has been this way for 2+ hours with a fairly fast connection.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if there is a way to get the blue progress bar and estimated time to display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you go into the Purchased Area of the MAS where you started the ML download it should all show u there for you to see and get a rundown on how long. The same sort of thing as in Downloads in iTunes when you have something downloading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
If I were you I would just let it do it's thing. It took me one hour and fifty minutes to download it the other night, then it takes about thirty-four minutes to install after that. Just be patient and it will download at it's own pace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
When I downloaded it on my machine i didn't get any progress bar or any indication of progress. It just said "downloading" in the app store. It took a at least a couple of hours to finish. Hang in there, you'll be fine. Be patient.For $20 its well worth the wait.Mine has operated perfectly.Love it!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Odd thing never saw the progress bar during the entire 70 minute download. Just 'downloading' on App Store page also. Then again mine was a redemption version.

OP
H
Reaction score
Have a progress bar across the mouth of the Mountain Lion in the icon. It is slightly more than half-way, but at least it is progressing. Now somewhat more than 2 hours.

C

chas_m

Mine took remarkably little time to download and install, I think I was done within an hour or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

While downloading I did see the blue progress bar in my Launchpad Dock Icon, then while installing ML had the normal software progress bar.

Ran TM before and after the installation, but whole process from start to finish did not take very long.;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mine took remarkably little time to download and install, I think I was done within an hour or so.

Your internet must be a bit faster than mine, but even with my 6Mbps DSL, it was around 2 hours which is not bad. Install went very smooth and fast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.