Is it worth upgrading to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
Mountain lion?
What changes make it worthwhile?
There is no 'bounce mail' feature on Lion, so I stick with previous version. Plus scrolling is upside down.
I hate change, so is it worth it?

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus scrolling is upside down.
OK, I realized this can be changed, did it on my LAPTOP WITH LION.........DUHHHHHHHH!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is ML worth upgrading to? That question can only be answered by you. I think it was worth the upgrade even though I probably will not use many of the new features it has.

One thing we have learned with these recent OS X upgrades and something you should keep in mind.... Apple is no longer selling Snow Leopard, Lion is no longer available to download from the MAS. Do you get where I'm going with this? ;D

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is ML worth upgrading to? That question can only be answered by you. I think it was worth the upgrade even though I probably will not use many of the new features it has.

One thing we have learned with these recent OS X upgrades and something you should keep in mind.... Apple is no longer selling Snow Leopard, Lion is no longer available to download from the MAS. Do you get where I'm going with this? ;D

GOT IT........ Thx a bunch.

C

chas_m

I hate change, so is it worth it?

If you hate change, you need to switch back to a Windows computer with XP asap. The Mac is the WRONG platform for people who hate change.

I'm completely serious about this, btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I hate change but I also hate Windows, which is why I'm switching to the Mac. LOL Windows apps crash far too much, as well as the OS itself. Plus it's insecure as heck! So I'm happy to switch. But I am not keen on a lot of "change" once I get into OS X. The last straw for me switching to OS X was Windows 8. As long as Apple doesn't change the functionality of OS X so dramatically at once like Microsoft did with Windows 8 I think I'd stick with it for the long haul. Though after college I may switch back to linux if something like that happens with OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Personally I like many of the new features, especially within pages > numbers etc where now you can directly access and alter cloud documents just by opening one of the applications.

May not use all the features but feel the upgrade for me was well worth while.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you hate change, you need to switch back to a Windows computer with XP asap. The Mac is the WRONG platform for people who hate change.

Using that logic, we all might as well go back to the first computing devices we ever used. With that, let's not get carried away with a statement that, given the context of the original post, shows that the OP is already a Mac user.

C

chas_m

Technology -- all technology, but particularly the Mac -- is about looking forward, not standing still. People who want to stand still will be endlessly frustrated trying to keep up with technology, which is why some people stick with 10-year-old machines running outdated OSes despite the fact that the list of things they complain about grows longer with each passing month.

I stand by my statement. Hating change -- and the close-mindedness that goes with that -- are serious disadvantages that will give you nothing but grief with consumer electronics, particularly with Apple. Until a user can let go of the notion that everything should stay the same, they're going to have a bad experience with technology (more so with Apple, somewhat less so with MS).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Quote by chas_m
I stand by my statement. Hating change -- and the close-mindedness that goes with that -- are serious disadvantages that will give you nothing but grief with consumer electronics, particularly with Apple. Until a user can let go of the notion that everything should stay the same, they're going to have a bad experience with technology (more so with Apple, somewhat less so with MS).

I feel that the changes within Apples OS X versions from SL on be they small or large, once you have used and understand them can be very beneficial and helpful. So I agree personally moving forward is a good thing.:D

The only thing that does confuses me with ML is the new software update via the App store.
As with SL and Lion peripherals such as printers were updated via Apples software updater. But I do not see how this can happen now via the App store, unless I am missing something very basic.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OldScribe, I am sure the updates will come from the store. Since none really have come down since I installed ML, it's just a guess. I hope I am right anyway! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi dtravis7,

Thanks I am sure they will to, as when we now use the software updater you get a message checking for new software (suspect this is all encompassing) not just App store purchases, will just wait and see.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's no different than it was before. Previously, all updates came through Apple software update except those provided by private developers. Nothing has changed in that regard except now you'll receive those Apple software updates through the MAS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info.

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Not exactly a 'friendly' answer.
I LOVE MY MAC!!!!!!!!
I just hate when I get used to something love it and it changes completely.

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using that logic, we all might as well go back to the first computing devices we ever used. With that, let's not get carried away with a statement that, given the context of the original post, shows that the OP is already a Mac user.

Thank you, I was completely offended by his reply.
I have updated to ML and already have an issue i do not know how to change.

Reaction score
I've upgraded. ML still has the same look and feel as Lion. A few more features that come in useful and the cost of the upgrade isn't that big. No issues for me thus far

C

chas_m

[if you don't like my service, I will gladly refund you what you paid me for it. Cheers!]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.