Recovering Data from DOA Power Mac G4

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G4 that has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. I used it in my photography biz for several years but it always had a couple of "ghosts" in the system that would make it quirky kicking out terminal errors etc. They didn't pop up that often and the folks at Apple could never pin them down, but after a couple hit when I was on a deadline, I moved on to the next system with the intention of finding time to pull the data off and junking the hardware. Well, as always happens by the time I got around to trying to move the data, the system won't even boot up. Nothing happens (but it seems like it has power). So it may be a power supply issue or some other simple fix ... but here is my question. All I want is the data off the drives. What is the simplest / quickest / cheapest way to get at the data. I don't think anything is corrupted so I was thinking of either buying another G4 and putting the HD's in as slaves, or is there an easy way to put them into a powered "box" and then just plugging them in as external drives to get at the data?

I am sure there are a couple of options including having someone look at the original tower to see what they can do to get it to power up, but I am just looking for the easiest path to get at the data (since the hardware will be recycled after this effort)

Thanks for sharing any opinions

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All I want is the data off the drives. What is the simplest / quickest / cheapest way to get at the data.

If there's nothing wrong with the hard drive...remove it...install it in an external hard drive case...plug it into another computer via USB...then extract your files.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.