Removing usb drive

Reaction score
I have created a medical history file on a usb drive plugged in to the back of my iMac. How do i remove the drive without without causing problems such as loss of date. There was no option to "close file," there is an option to "eject" the disc. Is this the way to remove such a drive from the iMac? Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
Right click on the disk image then select eject is the easiest way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Eject Disk is what you want to do. Make sure you don't have any apps accessing files on the disk. If so you will get a warning message stating the disk cannot be ejected until you close the files or quit the app. After ejecting the disk you can remove it when the icon disappears off the desktop.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can also drag the USB drives icon to the trash. You will see the trash turn into an Eject symbol. The Right Click way does the same thing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.