Magic Mouse or Trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz 1TB
Not the most important question when looking to buy a new computer i know but still i am 50/50 so wanted some opinions to sway me one way.
I have decided on the iMac i am getting, 21.5" 2.7GHz but now they give me a choice of magic mouse or trackpad.
I know its mostly personal preference but i was wondering if there was any major advantage/disadvantage to either of them.
I have tried both out in the apple store and will be going back again this week to decide. From first impressions i was thinking trackpad but now im not sure.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not the most important question when looking to buy a new computer i know but still i am 50/50 so wanted some opinions to sway me one way.
I have decided on the iMac i am getting, 21.5" 2.7GHz but now they give me a choice of magic mouse or trackpad.
I know its mostly personal preference but i was wondering if there was any major advantage/disadvantage to either of them.
I have tried both out in the apple store and will be going back again this week to decide. From first impressions i was thinking trackpad but now im not sure.

Like you mentioned...it really more of a personal preference thing (what you're more comfortable using). But I believe with the Trackpad...you can do more of (and more easily) the 2, 3, and 4 finger gesturing. So if you like the iPhone & iPad way of navigating...you may like the Magic trackpad more.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am a fan of the iPad navigation so i assume it will be quite intuative with the trackpad. I feel i might miss my right click and mouse though, but if im going for a whole new OS then maybe it won't feel to odd.

C

chas_m

They basically do the same thing. The Magic Trackpad uses two-finger taps instead of the mouse's physical right-click (et al), that's really the main difference that I can see. I'm kind of partial to physical right-clicking so I enjoy my Magic Mouse, but I use the MacBook Pro's trackpad (and it's multi-finger gestures) when I'm away from home so I can work with both systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Matter of individual choice and have both. Like chas_m also prefer the Magic Mouse, but maybe need more time to adapt to the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've used both and much prefer the Magic Trackpad. Much larger surface area, and no sensor to act erratically due to dust.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies, i think a good play in the apple store is in order for me to make my mind up. I think the trackpad may be better once i get use to it, i may end up getting a normal mouse if i decide to play games on the mac anyway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the replies, i think a good play in the apple store is in order for me to make my mind up. I think the trackpad may be better once i get use to it, i may end up getting a normal mouse if i decide to play games on the mac anyway.

Hey...nothing wrong with having both!;) Each may have their strengths in different computing situations.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.