im so lost

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new computer and really want another mac. With my butter fingers really need a desktop and want the 27" however I don't know really anything about what I need for hardware. My computer use is very research heavy. For example 12 browsers open an email account possibly 2 open Microsoft word, Excel, and PowerPoint and music playing all at the same time. I haaaaaaaaaate lags and I want everything to be quick all the time. I'm not heavy gamer. Read about the new Ivy bridge which isn't available on current desktops but have no idea if that's a big deal. Can upgrade to 8gb but don't know if I need it. I can afford all the bells and whistles but I'm a cheapskate and don't want to go overkill on new specs. I want something that's not going to be outdated six months from now that is fast and reliable with some extra room to spare.

HELP MEEEEEE!!!! I've read more about computer hardware in the last week than probably my entire life and still don't know what the best most efficient use of my dollar dollar bills is.

Thanks so much

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you have a good monitor and keyboard, and are a cheapskate, it's hard to beat a new Mac Mini. RAM is easy to upgrade (no tools required). Buy the additional RAM yourself and do the upgrade.

EDIT: Just reread your post and noticed the heavy gamer addition. Honestly, for games you are probably better off with a windows machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
NOT a heavy gamer

And no current compatible hardware, just had a dell laptop roll over and die on me so starting from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro w/ Retina (Personal) and iMac (Work)
Get a macbook pro, thunderbolt display and external harddrive.

C

chas_m

I'm in the market for a new computer and really want another mac. With my butter fingers really need a desktop and want the 27" however I don't know really anything about what I need for hardware. My computer use is very research heavy. For example 12 browsers open an email account possibly 2 open Microsoft word, Excel, and PowerPoint and music playing all at the same time.

Let's start here.

You're obviously interested in a large screen, and you won't find a better-quality one than the iMac 27" except for a Mac Mini with an Apple 27" (essentially the same thing!). So I think your choice of a 27" iMac is a good one.

You won't need to keep "12 browsers open" with Safari (or Firefox), just use tabs. You can have as many tabs as you like, organize related bookmarks into folders and so forth. You don't have to keep email open all the time either, Mountain Lion has a Notification Center so you can easily glance at and reply to email without having to keep the email program open constantly.

If you use Powerpoint a lot I'd suggest switching to Keynote, a superior program in every respect, but if you're super-comfortable with the quality of the work you're doing now then MS Office for Mac is probably your best bet. But give Keynote a try sometime and see if you don't agree with me that it's a vastly better presentation program.

I haaaaaaaaaate lags and I want everything to be quick all the time.

Getting lots of RAM in the machine (you can do this AFTER you receive it if you want to save some money) and considering the use of an SSD rather than a traditional hard drive would make everything way snappy.

Read about the new Ivy bridge which isn't available on current desktops but have no idea if that's a big deal.

The iMac was updated to Ivy Bridge chips last month. Obviously they are faster than the previous version but more importantly are more energy-efficient so they run cooler. You haven't mentioned it, but I know from my own work that QUIET is a huge factor in being able to focus on research, and you will NEVER own a quieter computer than a Mac.

Can upgrade to 8gb but don't know if I need it.

Since you like to keep lots of stuff open at the same time, I would suggest 8GB but can't see any reason to go beyond that.

I'd also suggest the option of the 256MB SSD to go with the traditional storage. Your system will be UNBELIEVABLY zippy compared to any previous computer you have ever used. If there's an Apple Store near you, go in and ask for a demo of the SSD drive in an iMac. You'll be quite amazed.

I want something that's not going to be outdated six months from now that is fast and reliable with some extra room to spare.

This just doesn't happen with Macs. You should expect your machine to be capable and supported for at least four years. Given that you don't push the envelope of graphics, I would expect you could count on several years beyond that with good maintenance and occasional system and drive upgrades.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you use Powerpoint a lot I'd suggest switching to Keynote, a superior program in every respect, but if you're super-comfortable with the quality of the work you're doing now then MS Office for Mac is probably your best bet. But give Keynote a try sometime and see if you don't agree with me that it's a vastly better presentation program.

Somehow chas always seems to forget to add the phrase: "In my opinion" when he's plugging Apple applications..... O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The iMac was updated to Ivy Bridge chips last month. Obviously they are faster than the previous version but more importantly are more energy-efficient so they run cooler. You haven't mentioned it, but I know from my own work that QUIET is a huge factor in being able to focus on research, and you will NEVER own a quieter computer than a Mac.

I'm wondering where you got this one chas - the iMac is still the 2011 model and is still listing the 2011 CPUs as the options - there is anticipation of a new iMac soon, but I have not heard nor seen anything about it using ivy bridge yet so if you have a reference on this I'd love to see it as I've been suggesting people wait since it hasn't from what I've seen been updated or refreshed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Somehow chas always seems to forget to add the phrase: "In my opinion" when he's plugging Apple applications..... O:)
Hmmm. Not sure what you're talking about there.*

That's because it's not an opinion.
Really? A fact then?

But give Keynote a try sometime and see if you don't agree with me that it's a vastly better presentation program.

Emphasis added.
*See what I mean? ;)

C

chas_m

You're right. I apologize. It is a very widely-held opinion. But it's not just MY opinion is the point I was trying to make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A lot of people do prefer Keynote to Microsoft Powerpoint and I am one of them. True it is opinion, but if you use them side by side, Keynote does some things better. At least that is the way I see it. :D

C

chas_m

I suppose ultimately it depends on what you're going for. If you're going for boring, then PowerPoint is probably the best tool to use. Everyone's familiar with it, everyone's bored with it and they can rest assured that it's naptime while your presentation is running because they will see or hear NOTHING that is unfamiliar or presented beautifully.

If, on the other hand, your goal is to make an interesting presentation, you probably want Keynote (there are some other really nice presentation programs, but they're all Mac as far as I'm aware). It's the little things -- like real typography, real centering, real design -- that make your presentation better than even an IDENTICAL presentation in PP. Keynote also has the advantage of being less-used than PP so people (at least IME) really sit up and take notice when they see you're not using the same old PP templates and awful fonts. Then you hit em with a beautiful transition or two ... you have their attention.

To put it another way: Keynote was designed to make Steve Jobs happy. PP was designed to make Steve Ballmer happy. Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Having read your post I think you would be very happy with a 27 inch iMac . Just add a bit more after you buy it and your done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Having read your post I think you would be very happy with a 27 inch iMac . Just add a bit more after you buy it and your done.

Meant to say add a bit more ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I've seen your reality distortion field at work before, but this is the first time I've seen you blatantly tell an actual lie to someone trying to make a decision.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I've seen your reality distortion field at work before, but this is the first time I've seen you blatantly tell an actual lie to someone trying to make a decision.

OOps, I did not think the iMacs had been refreshed as yet. I take it I am correct?

New iMacs and Mac Pros are due end of the year or something like that. It was in the Keynote or said after the Keynote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
OOps, I did not think the iMacs had been refreshed as yet. I take it I am correct?

New iMacs and Mac Pros are due end of the year or something like that. It was in the Keynote or said after the Keynote.

That is correct, but nothing has been said of when the iMac refresh might happen. And Tim Cook confirmed that there was something exciting coming for pro users in the beginning of 2013, which people have assumed to be a refreshed Mac Pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eh, you know I don't count hearsay as fact unless it comes directly from an Apple official, Dennis. :p

But yes, either way, 2013 is not the same as last month.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.