Starting in Graphic Design

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some questions about getting started in graphic design.

What I really want to do is just some graphic design on my own (like designing wedding invitations or open house invitations, etc.) I don't exactly want to get a job with a company. I want to be able to do this from my home when I have kids someday, but I'm not sure where to start or if this is even possible.

I would like to get started messing around with the programs and learning them now, and getting my name out in my community, but I don't know where to begin. I know that it takes time to master the programs and get good at designing, so I'm not expecting to have a lot of business at first.

Is it worth investing in an expensive program if this is all I'm going to do?

Are there other things that I could design other than wedding and open house invitations?

If you have any ideas or advice and could help me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

OP
L
Reaction score
Would Adobe InDesign be a good program for me to look into? Or are there any other suggestions?

C

chas_m

Graphic Design is something you will need to study. I would STRONGLY recommend courses (perhaps online if you can't attend a school) in the fundamentals of design, typography, photography and calligraphy *at a minimum.* Just as communicating with language requires learning how to talk, then spell, then write properly, so to does design require learning the fundamentals.

One does not just buy a copy of InDesign and boom they are a graphic designer. All they are at that stage is $600 poorer. :)

Invitations and business cards are where most designers start, and there are several programs that can help you along the way. Pages has the advantage of using GORGEOUS, well-designed templates that can help you understand what works well (how fonts and colours go together, spacing issues, etc).

Mostly I'd suggest you study all the good design you see (and you'll see a lot more of it if you keep track of the graphic arts magazines). What makes it work? How could it be improved?

If you can, you'll want to get a copy of the Adobe Creative Suite (not just Indesign, the whole kit) when you're ready to start doing things for money. In the meantime, look at designs for the kind of stuff you want to do that's already been done and examine it with a critical eye. Why were those choices made? Why does this work well? How are these elements combining to be more than just paper and art and type?

Basically learning graphic design is like learning anything well -- lots of study followed by lots of practice followed by peer interaction.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your advice chas_m! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking into the Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design & Web premium. I think that one seems like it would work the best for me.

I'm excited to get started, but also nervous about being swallowed up by the programs. I think it will be necessary for me to study it and learn more.

Thanks for your help! If you have any other tips or more advice let me know. I can use as much help as I can get! =]

C

chas_m

Adobe has many terrific resources for helping you learn the Adobe suite including their video-oriented Adobe.tv.

There are many good books on the topic of small-biz design (which is where most of us start), and many podcasts, iTunes U courses and other resources that are inexpensive or free.

One of the things I do is look at a LOT of design work from others -- from fancy-pants design showcase magazines to the business cards people actually hand out. When I notice a really nice design, I sometimes try to re-create it in my program of choice (often InDesign, or Pages -- with help from Photoshop if I need to create bitmap art) to see how to put it together. If I get stuck on something (like a forgotten technique I haven't used or don't yet know), I can USUALLY find a tutorial on the web somewhere by typing in what I'm looking for (which is where having the "vocabulary" of graphic design down really helps!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Before you leap into the technology and programs, try getting at least two books on design and typography. After all, my boss has got Creative Suite installed, but it hasn't made him any more creative.

I often doodle ideas on an A5 pad with a biro before I start moving a mouse

Book on design and communication
Amazon.com: Design for Communication: Conceptual Graphic Design Basics (9780471418290): Elizabeth Resnick: Books

Book on typography
Amazon.com: The Elements of Typographic Style (9780881792058): Robert Bringhurst: Books

Reaction score
I suggest you explore freelancing avenues. Graphic design is in demand. You can also try connecting with other designers online through professional networking in forums and social sites like LinkedIn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.