Can't empty my Trash

Reaction score
Hi - Does anybody know why I can't empty my trash? It keeps popping up with "This item is in use". The items that refuse to be deleted are all stupid comics and such from Facebook. I am worried I have a virus!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I assure you that you do not have a virus. Make sure you have QUIT all applications. Clicking the red X does not necessarily quit the application. Then restart your computer. Let us know. And some computer specs and OS info would be quite helpful.

OP
N
Reaction score
DogBreath - You are amazing - - - and I love your name - Made me laugh. My trash can is now empty and I am no longer panicking!!! Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
My monicker is from my biker days. I was OCD concerning my oral hygeine, so they hung that name on me...like calling the obese guy "Slim". I use it in the various forums I participate in.

I am delighted I was able to help you. I have learned so much from hanging out in this forum. There is a collective wealth of information to be found here. I have only been a Mac guy since 09-2010 . . . there is still so much I need to learn. I encourage you to put your computer specs and OS info in your profile...that information will be extremely helpful to someone trying to assist you with any future problems. Enjoy your day!

OP
N
Reaction score
Good job - Keep up with that oral hygeine - I tend to be a little obsessive about that as well!

I will try and figure out where to find these "computer specs and OS" you talk about but as you can guess I am really green about macs - - - well any computers. When they start acting funny, I go out and buy a new one - hence the Mac this time so I avoid viruses a little better. My husband has banned me from any new laptops and he has also banned me from using his - - - he is EVEN GREENER LOL!

Thanks for the advice!

C

chas_m

There aren't any Mac viruses. There is a little bit of "malware" (not the same thing but can be quite annoying) out there that works on Mac, but you're not likely to see any, particularly if you have any common sense about you and don't just download things willy-nilly.

Take a look at the essay I penned a while back that appears in my signature below.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey NessNess . . .
To find your computer specs and OS info...click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of your desktop. Then click on "About This Mac". There you will see the Mac OS X and the version, processor and RAM info. On down there is "More Info...". If you click that, you will see your Mac model, processor name and speed. This info is all relevant to getting a speedy reply for any future questions. I hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.