• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trying to get a camcorder

R

razekworkz

Im looking to buy a camcorder but there are a lot of them on the market. Are all camcorders compatible with Mac? what would you recommend in the $600 range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
You need one with DV/Firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
razekworkz said:
Im looking to buy a camcorder but there are a lot of them on the market. Are all camcorders compatible with Mac? what would you recommend in the $600 range.

I use a Sony DCR series MiniDV camera and love it. Works well with iMovie and the a/v quality is excellent although I got mine second (possibly) third hand although in excellent condition, for much less than the $1,000+ sticker price. You definately need a MiniDV (or DVD) camera with firewire to make it work with the Mac.

The DCR-TRV39 is a nice camera in the $500 range, I don't know what you are looking to do with it, but for the average videographer-at-home it should work quite well.

OP
R

razekworkz

i found a canon optura xi for $500, waht do u people think about that cam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Canons are great, except for the new ZR's.
The Optura XI is a good camera.

OP
J

jerastan

I've had great luck w/ the 3CCD line from Panasonic. I run the GS-250, but the 150 is awesome for less money.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've had excellent luck with Canon miniDV cam's, but nothing but problems with the 3CCD Pani's. A couple of my friends have them and they have all broken over time. Silly breaks too, like a crack or tape becomming jammed.

I have the Canon Optura 40 and I LOVE IT. Even though it's not a 3CCD, the picture is EXCELLENT and the camera is of great build quality (which is extremely important). I believe that they have now replaced it with the Optura 60 (but it is still very similar).

In terms of compatability, you must be very carefull. Not all Firewire camcorders are compatible with the mac. I too believed that any firewire camera would work but one day when I tried to import footage via a Sony Firewire cam in iMovie, no luck. I'm not too sure of the specific model though.

I know apple has a compatability table on their site under the iMovie support page. I would try to use this as a guide.

OP
T

The Fiish

I have a Canon ZR100

The only complaint I have with it is that as soon as I got it, like five new modles come out. But for what I want it works fine. I can use it for a webcam and have it recording directly into iMovie. The quality isnt top grade. But it's good for the price.

The Fiish

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.