iMac initial setup

Reaction score
Hello all you Happy Mac users.. I'm an imac Switcher having trouble in getting started with my new iMac! Having switched on and started the basic setup I switched off for domestic requirements! and returned somewhat later hoping to resume where I left off. No such luck! According to HELLO I should be able to resume in Setup Assistant...where & How?...........I've purchased a Belkin N150 Wireless modem router to connect to my ISP and would welcome any help in setting this up to my iMac.
Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can do it but you will have to open up the terminal app and use the command line

Its in Applcations/Utilities

When you get to the command line in the app paste this in

sudo rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

You will need to give your password to run that command, then reboot

OP
J
Reaction score
You can do it but you will have to open up the terminal app and use the command line

Its in Applcations/Utilities

When you get to the command line in the app paste this in

You will need to give your password to run that command, then reboot

thank you for your reply....but Applications/Utilities...command line ! ? to get back to Basic Setup? and connect to the internet?....I'm not a happy switcher at the moment. I must be a Dumbo Switcher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Jim,

I'm not exactly sure what happened. If I'm reading you correctly, you started the Setup Assistant with your iMac, then shut it off because you had something inturrupt you. When you came back, you weren't able to resume where you left off; the computer booted up like normal. Does that sound about right?

You don't need to go back into basic setup in order to do what you want. Just click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the screen, and select System Preferences. From there, click on Network, and you should be able to set up your Mac's Internet connection.

OP
J
Reaction score
:)Thanks for your help
Jim,

I'm not exactly sure what happened. If I'm reading you correctly, you started the Setup Assistant with your iMac, then shut it off because you had something inturrupt you. When you came back, you weren't able to resume where you left off; the computer booted up like normal. Does that sound about right?

You don't need to go back into basic setup in order to do what you want. Just click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the screen, and select System Preferences. From there, click on Network, and you should be able to set up your Mac's Internet connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.