Image capture from SDXC card

Reaction score
I have recently bought a Lumix LX5 which included an SDXC card. My G4 Power Mac running OS 10.4.11 does not recognise it. Can anyone suggest what I should do to enable me to transfer the images from the card onto my elderly Mac?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The cheapest answer I can suggest (providing your Mac has no problem with them) is to purchase and use older/slower SD cards in your LX5.

EDIT: Making sure I understand your issue. Were you trying to download directly from your LX5 and your Mac couldn't recognize it?
or, Were you using an SD card reader and your Mac wouldn't read the new SD card?

EDIT 2: If you aren't currently using an SD card reader, I believe this should still work on your PowerMac (USB 1.0 I believe). I have and use a number of these.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YBH4YU/?tag=macforums0e4-20

EDIT 3: Slower SD Card if that is the issue, though you could probably use any SDHC card
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VUVA62/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
P
Reaction score
The cheapest answer I can suggest (providing your Mac has no problem with them) is to purchase and use older/slower SD cards in your LX5.

EDIT: Making sure I understand your issue. Were you trying to download directly from your LX5 and your Mac couldn't recognize it?
or, Were you using an SD card reader and your Mac wouldn't read the new SD card?

EDIT 2: If you aren't currently using an SD card reader, I believe this should still work on your PowerMac (USB 1.0 I believe). I have and use a number of these.
Amazon.com: Sandisk MicroMate SD / SDHC Memory Card Reader (Static Pack, New, SDDR-113): Electronics

EDIT 3: Slower SD Card if that is the issue, though you could probably use any SDHC card
Amazon.com: SanDisk 8GB SD High Capacity Card (SDSDB-008G-B35): Electronics

I have tried plugging the camera in directly as suggested in user guide and also tried SD card reader both without success. SD card is probably the answer.

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with an SDXC card in my Canon Vixia M40 camcorder, so I'm very interested in possible answers (as I have found no reliable ones). The videos are viewable on the camcorder, but my Macbook Pro does not recognize the card. I have tried the card in the camera, in the SD slot in the Mac and using an SD reader that is compatible with SDXC cards. I have Mac OS 10.5.8.

If anyone has an answer, please let us know! I would hate to lose 6 days of video from my recent safari!

OP
P
Reaction score
I have taken the advice of RazorMac and bought an ordinary SD card. It seems it is the older Mac OS that cannot handle the latest technology cards. I suggest you find someone with the latest OS (or even - spit spit - a PC with current Windows) and get them to copy your files to a CD for use till your new SD card arrives!

Reaction score
Sounds good. I actually found a Mac with Lion OS, and it can read the SDXC card. Quick question though...if I use iMovie to access the files, I can copy the camera contents to an archive file. I plan to copy this file onto a DVD to transfer it to my other computer with the older OS. Is this the way to do it? Will I be able to import the movies to iMovie from this DVD on my older computer?

OP
P
Reaction score
I was in PC World this morning and whilst I was buying some blank discs I told their ever so young assistant about the problem I was having with HDXC card images and he sold me an HDXC card reader which he assured me would work with my OS 10.4.11 Power Mac. It didn't. I still get the message that the images cannot be opened. Any more ideas?

OP
P
Reaction score
I received an interesting reply to the same question on another forum. Go to Raw Photo Processor (RPP)
download the programme - RPP.
It will open RAW files even if you get a warning that they cannot be handled by your computer. It converts them into TIFFs or JPGs which will then open in Photoshop etc.
Why can't I open these RAW files in Photoshop directly using the RAW converter plug-in?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.