Mountain Lion update now NO SOUND

Reaction score
hi have just installed the new software and everything working fine, parrells and everthing but i have no sound :(

itunes playing, mute not on can see volume going up or down on screen but no sound

can anyone help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Try holding Option and clicking the audio/speaker icon this will list all possible audio outputs. The ticked one is where your audio is currently going to. Click on Internal Speakers to select them (assuming it's not those selected already)

OP
N
Reaction score
try holding option and clicking the audio/speaker icon this will list all possible audio outputs. The ticked one is where your audio is currently going to. Click on internal speakers to select them (assuming it's not those selected already)

thank you so much is working now

thank you

Reaction score
Mountain Lion update NO SOUND

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion. Noe the sound is out and is grayed out. I can not adjust the sound. I went to the preferences screen and it is on the correct output. Still no sound.

Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Just upgraded to Mountain Lion. Noe the sound is out and is grayed out. I can not adjust the sound. I went to the preferences screen and it is on the correct output. Still no sound.

Please help!

Restart your computer. Should be all you need to do to fix it.

Reaction score
No audio after Mountain Lion installation

Hi - I'm brand new to this forum. Since installing Mountain Lion yesterday, I have no sound on my MacBook Pro. I've read earlier suggestions which haven't worked for me. My volume indicator at the top of the screen is black (not grey). When I hold down 'option' then the mute key I can't see a tick on that screen that I should be able to apparently. I've restarted it too but to no avail. :Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hold down your Option key and click on the small speaker icon on the top menu. (don't hold down the mute key) Tell us what it says.

Reaction score
No Sound after Mountain Lion upgrade

I had the same problem. Pressing Option and the sound icon didn't reveal any checkboxes, but restarting the computer (a MacBook Pro) solved the problem. Thanks!

Reaction score
Sound problem

I have a macbook pro, and after installing mountain lion os, have no sound to speakers. If I put the headset everything works fine. Else, if I hold Option key and press the audio/speaker icon, it appears to output device - "digital out". I couldn't solve this issue. If I try to activate the sound from the keys, access is denied.
Try restart several times... doesn't work.
I've opened AUDIO MINI Setup and tried to change the formats, but this is not allowed for me.
Please help!

Reaction score
No audio after upgrading to Mountain Lion

It appears to me I have the same problem

Upgraded to Mountain Lion and now I have no audio via laptop speakers. Tested with apple tv via airplay and sound is working that way.

Tried to restart / shutdown start ect.

Toggled all the sound options ect.. only thing I have not done listed in the post is remove or replace files.

I dont have another mac to copy files from at this time however I can probably get access to a few in a couple of days.

I have 4 output devices I can chose from

Apple TV.. which works
Logmein sound driver - untested
Digital Out - doesn't produce any sound and greys out speaker when selected
Bose system over Bluetooth - untested

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

Any assistance is greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Rather than restart try resetting the SMC by powering down, remove mains plug from power point for five minutes or so, re-connect and boot up. Also run Repair Permissions and download and use Onyx.

Keep us posted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Also worth trying:
Do headphones work if you connect them?
Temporarily uninstall logmein

Reaction score
I ran Onyx checks, but what I think did the trick was actually sticking in the headphones jack after a couple restarts. The output device "digital out" disappeared and headphones appeared. I ended up however having other problems and eventually got the grey/white screen of death. I reinstalled mountain lion and the problem was not there the upon reinstall. I still have the font issues (blurred and smudgy looking arial font) which for me seem to be much more prevalent when using my 2 Dell external monitors. Smoothing font options have little to no effect on my issue.

Thanks for the help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.