Refurbished Iphone 4 questions.

Reaction score
Being new to Macs, I decided to take the plunge and get a refurbished iPhone from Amazon - it arrived in timely fashion, was activated by Verizon with no effort, and is a much better phone than any I have used before.

However, there are a couple of strange things that I could do with help resolving. The first, a rather major one, is that the App Store App, is Japanese. Everything is in Japanese, the pricing is in yen. There do not appear to any settings or menu options that would change this, so I am assuming I would need to download a US specific Appstore app. How exactly can I do this, without an understandable appstore app to download apps from.

The other question is about an accessory case/keyboard also from Amazon, that the phone seems unable to discover in bluetooth.. That I can live without, if nobody can suggest anything, but the appstore thing needs resolving. :[

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The App Store App is built into iOS and you cannot upgrade/install that indepedently. It looks like you need to restore the phone to it's factory defaults.

For starters, if this is an official refurb and not just a used iPhone, it should have come in a more "clean" configuration..anyway, plug the iPhone into iTunes and then on the main page choose to Restore the iPhone to factory defaults and see if that'll make it happy.

If not, then go to the Settings app (the one with the gears on the main page), then see if you can find the General->International setting. If the language make it hard to find it, "General" is the first entry in the 3rd section of options once you enter the Settings App. "International" is the third option from the bottom of the screen. The first entry in International is Language and you should be able to choose English there and have everything start to make sense again..

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply - it does not address the issue though. Everything on the phone is English - except the app store - it is in Japanese. Nothing else is, the International setting is set to US English, but the app store still is in Japanese. The phone has been reset to factory defaults, and still - Japanese. Hopefully I can get this resolved, or Amazon get a return, and I am without a phone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Interesting, can you go to Settings->General->About and tell us what Version says? As far as I know there is no way to control the language in one App (especially the built-in ones) individually. All of them take their cue from the International setting.

You might want to give Apple a call or visit a local Apple Store to see if they can resolve this quickly for you..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP Intel Core i7, iPhone 4s, iPhone 2g, iPad 2, iPod mini, iMac Intel Core 2 duo
Here's a thought It may or may not work but lets see if we can do this.

It is likely when you got your phone working you did it all from the phone and not the computer. If this is true then maybe its a simple fix after all.

First Part
what you need to do is open your computer (mac or pc it doesn't matter). Open up iTunes>> Go to the "iTunes Store">> and log your username and password into your account>>> When you are logged in a page with your "Account Information" comes up... read the page and look for something that says "Change Country or Region". Once you are there you just need to change it to your country region and thats that!! :)

Second Part

Next go to your iPhone and open the "Settings" app>> Go to the "Store" setting and log in using your "Apple ID". That should fix any problems you have.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't please let me know cause I'm curious to see how this turns out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Something similar to that was the way it got fixed. Rather than logging in with username, I hit create user id, and when it got to the pick country part, I scrolled to US english, and hit done. Then logged in with my id, and everything worked after the third attempt.

Thank you all for the input. I now love the iPhone as much as the PowerMac G5..

Macs really do rock.

Useless information just thrown in for fun.. My RV is a Mack truck..:}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP Intel Core i7, iPhone 4s, iPhone 2g, iPad 2, iPod mini, iMac Intel Core 2 duo
Something similar to that was the way it got fixed. Rather than logging in with username, I hit create user id, and when it got to the pick country part, I scrolled to US english, and hit done. Then logged in with my id, and everything worked after the third attempt.

Oh cool glad it worked out for you mcuaine i know what its like when cwazy things like that happen. NJoy!! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.