external Hard drive??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing the following external hard drive to back-up both my wifes and my MBP w/750gb, will I be able to do both with this hard drive? I figured I would have to partition the drive for each, if it will work how hard is it to partition these hard drives I have never done one before.

Western Digital - My Book Essential 2TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Yes you can do that. Partioning is easy, just plug in the drive and run Disk Utility which should be in the Utilities Folder in you Applications Folder.

Select the drive in the lefthand pane, and then select Partition. Size the partitions as you want and format as MacOS Extended(Journaled).

You then tell Time Machine on each Mac which partition to use for the backup.

OP
Goavs18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
Yes you can do that. Partioning is easy, just plug in the drive and run Disk Utility which should be in the Utilities Folder in you Applications Folder.

Select the drive in the lefthand pane, and then select Partition. Size the partitions as you want and format as MacOS Extended(Journaled).

You then tell Time Machine on each Mac which partition to use for the backup.

Ok Thanks very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
LIke you I just set up a time machine back up system for two mac computers. I am using Time Capsule. I have a related question. Is there a reason to partition as opposed to just setting up both computers to back up to the drive on the same partition using time machine which is the way I am doing it now?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not really a huge reason to change what you are doing. You could run into a situation at some point where the two backups are competing for space but Time Machine should merely delete the oldest files from the backup that is running short on space.

If you wanted to control how large each backup gets you cannot really "partition" the Time Capsule drive in the true sense of the word. Your options for that would be either

1.Setting up separate "shares" on the Time Capsule and assigning each backup to a different share. I think the software supports creating those IIRC.
2. Attach a hard drive to the TC and partition that drive as needed for the different backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.