Wi-fi solution for new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", iPhone 4, iTouch.
Hello
I've had my new iMac since January this year and have consistently experienced wi-fi dropping out, to the point it is unusable. All my other devices (i-phone, ipad and windows laptop) all connect without issue. I have updated to the latest versions of the OS and none have resolved the issue. I have also been in to an Apple store who successfully connected my iMac to their wi-fi network and deduced that it was an issue with my home modem/router (which is a Thomson Speedtouch 585 v6) and how it works with my iMac.
I have since connected my iMac to the Thomson modem via ethernet and it worked perfectly without any issue.

Finally to the reason for my posting...... (thanks for staying with me if you're still here, I just felt a bit of background might be helpful)......

I have read that one approach would be to disable wi-fi on my Thomson modem/router and to connect an Airport Express or Extreme, via ethernet, to the Thomson modem/router. This would effectively create a new wi-fi network and I would then use the Airport Express / Extreme for my wi-fi needs.

Question 1 : Is this a valid approach ?
Question 2 : Would the 'Extreme' give me better coverage than an 'Express' ?

The advise I was given following a trip to an authorised Apple re-seller this weekend was to buy the Airport Express and to connect this via ethernet to the back of my iMac. On the back of this advise I did actually buy an Airport Express but have not tried it yet. I have read some reports that have suggested that I cannot extend my current wi-fi from a non-Apple (Airport) device. ie This approach won't work as the Thomson modem/router will still be doing the wi-fi and the Express will be used as an extender but hard wired (via Ethernet) in to the back of my iMac. I'm not sure, even if this works, this is the approach I want to take as my Thomson modem/router would still be performing some wi-fi duties and I had hoped with an Apple Airport device performing all wi-fi duties I would get better performance for all my wi-fi work (although this may be a complete lack of knowledge and incompetence on my part).

Question 3 : Has anyone successfully tried this approach and does my comment on wi-fi performance make any sense at all?

Apologies for the long question but believe me any advice will be very gratefully received.

Thanks

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello
I've had my new iMac since January this year and have consistently experienced wi-fi dropping out, to the point it is unusable. All my other devices (i-phone, ipad and windows laptop) all connect without issue. I have updated to the latest versions of the OS and none have resolved the issue. I have also been in to an Apple store who successfully connected my iMac to their wi-fi network and deduced that it was an issue with my home modem/router (which is a Thomson Speedtouch 585 v6) and how it works with my iMac.
I have since connected my iMac to the Thomson modem via ethernet and it worked perfectly without any issue.

Finally to the reason for my posting...... (thanks for staying with me if you're still here, I just felt a bit of background might be helpful)......

I have read that one approach would be to disable wi-fi on my Thomson modem/router and to connect an Airport Express or Extreme, via ethernet, to the Thomson modem/router. This would effectively create a new wi-fi network and I would then use the Airport Express / Extreme for my wi-fi needs.

Question 1 : Is this a valid approach ?
Question 2 : Would the 'Extreme' give me better coverage than an 'Express' ?

The advise I was given following a trip to an authorised Apple re-seller this weekend was to buy the Airport Express and to connect this via ethernet to the back of my iMac. On the back of this advise I did actually buy an Airport Express but have not tried it yet. I have read some reports that have suggested that I cannot extend my current wi-fi from a non-Apple (Airport) device. ie This approach won't work as the Thomson modem/router will still be doing the wi-fi and the Express will be used as an extender but hard wired (via Ethernet) in to the back of my iMac. I'm not sure, even if this works, this is the approach I want to take as my Thomson modem/router would still be performing some wi-fi duties and I had hoped with an Apple Airport device performing all wi-fi duties I would get better performance for all my wi-fi work (although this may be a complete lack of knowledge and incompetence on my part).

Question 3 : Has anyone successfully tried this approach and does my comment on wi-fi performance make any sense at all?

Apologies for the long question but believe me any advice will be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Answer 1: Yes it is a valid approach. When you disable the wireless part of your Internet router, the Extreme or Express will take over the Wifi duties. I use a Airport Extreme in my basement to power all devices across 2 floors and though the reception in my bedroom (2nd floor, opposite corner of the house) is a tad weak, there is no connection dropping. My iMac sits on the 1st floor and get good reception and bandwidth.

I'm thinking of putting an Airport Express somewhere on the 1st floor to extend the WiFi throughout the house.

If the Airport Extreme/Express are both 802.11n then they will both give you the same speed. The Extreme has more features than the Express..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads - please don't crosspost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I was having very bad wifi problems and lines occasionally showing up on my iMac's screen. The wifi would drop several times an hour. Eventually they replaced the logic board and now everything works perfectly. Maybe you got a lemon too. If it keeps happening, take it back to the Apple Store and tell them you want it replaced or repaired properly.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was having very bad wifi problems and lines occasionally showing up on my iMac's screen. The wifi would drop several times an hour. Eventually they replaced the logic board and now everything works perfectly. Maybe you got a lemon too. If it keeps happening, take it back to the Apple Store and tell them you want it replaced or repaired properly.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I will try the 'airport' approach and if that doesn't work I will go for your suggested approach.

Thanks again.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merged threads - please don't crosspost.

Apologies, not intending to be mis-chievous. I posted in 'Switcher Hangout' first then thought I would also enter in the 'wi-fi' section as possibly more pertinent.

Will avoid in future if considered inappropriate. Thanks for merging.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Answer 1: Yes it is a valid approach. When you disable the wireless part of your Internet router, the Extreme or Express will take over the Wifi duties. I use a Airport Extreme in my basement to power all devices across 2 floors and though the reception in my bedroom (2nd floor, opposite corner of the house) is a tad weak, there is no connection dropping. My iMac sits on the 1st floor and get good reception and bandwidth.

I'm thinking of putting an Airport Express somewhere on the 1st floor to extend the WiFi throughout the house.

If the Airport Extreme/Express are both 802.11n then they will both give you the same speed. The Extreme has more features than the Express..

That's very useful information. Thank you very much that is a great help. :)

Reaction score
Good Evening;
Just this past week I took the plunge and bought an Airport Express. I turned off my FIOS router's wifi, plugged the Express into a LAN port and set it up in bridge mode. So my AE is sending wifi on both wireless bands, 2.4 and 5, throughout the house, with the FIOS router doling out the IP addresses to all connected devices. The range of the AE is excellent. My iPad seems a little speedier as do two other computers on the network. The FIOS wifi limited me to wireless B/G bands only, maxed out at 54 MB/sec. Just plug in the AE and see if the range is stronger. If you are not happy, just return it.
badness

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The FIOS wifi limited me to wireless B/G bands only, maxed out at 54 MB/sec. Just plug in the AE and see if the range is stronger. If you are not happy, just return it.

You must have an older or earlier model FIOS router. ActionTech or D-Link early models were limited to B/G and static DNS address. Additionally, the encryption was hard coded to WEP. Newer ActionTech models from Verizon support B/G/N, changeable DNS and WPA2 encryption. No way I'm going to spend the money on an AE when I'm paying Verizon all those $$ for my connection. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good Evening;
Just this past week I took the plunge and bought an Airport Express. I turned off my FIOS router's wifi, plugged the Express into a LAN port and set it up in bridge mode. So my AE is sending wifi on both wireless bands, 2.4 and 5, throughout the house, with the FIOS router doling out the IP addresses to all connected devices. The range of the AE is excellent. My iPad seems a little speedier as do two other computers on the network. The FIOS wifi limited me to wireless B/G bands only, maxed out at 54 MB/sec. Just plug in the AE and see if the range is stronger. If you are not happy, just return it.
badness

Thanks very much for responding with your, very recent and relevant, experience. It's reassuring to know its a scenario that works. Reckon I'll go with this approach and as you say if for whatever it doesn't work for me I can return it. Glad it worked for you and you are now enjoying better speed ! Thanks again.

Reaction score
any advice?

i have airport express connected to my router via ethernet, and my new imac connection is intermittent, while my old mac pro tower works fine. both in same room as router and express. any advice?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.