preparation for Mountain lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
I have a question, I am a new Mac user only had my MBP since January of this year, so my question is what preparations will I need to do to get ready to upgrade my OS to Mountain Lion, ie; system backups, file backups, etc. I came from a PC world so I have never upgraded a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Back up to Time Machine and run the update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed, a full backup via Time Machine and or Carbon Copy Cloner is good practice. In fact having a day-to-day or week-to-week Time Machine backup is good practice anyway.

I'd also suggest taking the opportunity to repair Permissions (from Disk Utility) and to run the automated scripts from a free tool like Onyx. Just to clear down old logs, caches etc

OP
Goavs18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
thanks to both,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Agreed, a full backup via Time Machine and or Carbon Copy Cloner is good practice. In fact having a day-to-day or week-to-week Time Machine backup is good practice anyway.

I'd also suggest taking the opportunity to repair Permissions (from Disk Utility) and to run the automated scripts from a free tool like Onyx. Just to clear down old logs, caches etc

Good advice. I usually don't bother with the permission repair though. Unless I am having issues. Generally any permission errors are fixed when the files are updated during installation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.