EFT File won't delete from Trash

Reaction score
Virgin poster.

I have an EFT file in my trash which says it is occupying 165GB (which I would like back).

Somehow in my inept tinkering I deleted the .file ending (file-type) which I am sure doesn't help. I can't recall what it was.

Attempting to empty trash (which is set to secure erase) simply leaves the trash hanging

Any suggestions?

Birdan104

Virgin poster.

I have an EFT file in my trash which says it is occupying 165GB (which I would like back).

Somehow in my inept tinkering I deleted the .file ending (file-type) which I am sure doesn't help. I can't recall what it was.

Attempting to empty trash (which is set to secure erase) simply leaves the trash hanging

Any suggestions?

Birdman104

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums..

Try this to force empty trash.

Open Terminal and copy paste this in

Code:
sudo rm -ri ~/.Trash

Press Return.
Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
Type y for yes in response to the subsequent prompts to delete each file in the trash and finally the affected .Trash folder itself. The prompts are finished when the Terminal prompt returns.

Note: when you enter your Admin p/w, it won't show up as this is by default for security reasons, but will be typed as you enter it.

Cheers

EDIT : No need to double post either :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorted Thanks

Well that was remarkably efficient

Thank you very much indeed. :)

Regards

Birdman104.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Posts merged. Please don't create multiple threads with the same post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.