I am in SHOCK! cant convince the Mrs

Reaction score
WE just cleaned out a spare room and we are making it a office for my Mrs.
She has a new desk in there and file cabanet and now all she needs is a computer.
And mostly she wants her own so i dont touch it and tinker and format it all the time (and lose like heaps of crap that i always forget to backup before i fromat, she always busts my balls for that.
Now i have a G5, 3PCs and a Laptop PC which i need all of them.

So i suggest getting a Imac (buy the way she never uses my G5)
she said FLAT OUT!!! NO!!!
I said why not??

She replied
I dont know how to use it and i wont use it
i said they are easy to use!!
She said well all i want it for is Quickbooks, office (word) Her life is on Outlook(on her work PC) and to play world poker and Tigerwoods, Farcry and Civ4 and age of Empires.

I said Mac has office and then i had to think!?
Can i get quickbooks on the Mac? (it has to be quickbooks she wont change).
And i am not sure all those games will run that great on a Imac?(if they have em, cant upgrade a Imac graphics card!? and i am not spending all that money on another G5 just so i can)
Well at the moment she is mostly addicted to world poker which is a 10Mb game LOL.

So like i would like another Mac, i like the new Imacs (if she would let me touch it)
Also i tried to say" play the good games on my PC (tigerwoods, farcry) and just have the Mac in the Office for all other purposes.

She wont have a bar of that caus she said she dont want to fight with me and i will lose her game saves like i have 100 times..

Help me convince her to get a Imac, i have enough PCs :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
macanal said:
She has a new desk in there and file cabanet and now all she needs is a computer.
And mostly she wants her own so i dont touch it and tinker and format it all the time (and lose like heaps of crap that i always forget to backup before i fromat, she always busts my balls for that........

Well, in all fairness, let's look at the situation here. The Mrs. wants her own computer. She has made it clear that she does not want a Mac, but would rather have a Windows PC. She wants it for her office, for her use only. As you have already stated..
Now i have a G5, 3PCs and a Laptop PC which i need all of them
,,,so it looks like you are set for your own personal computing needs for what YOU want.
This computer however would be for her and not you. By your own admission, she gets upset because you...
lose like heaps of crap that i always forget to backup before i fromat

So, I would say that if she wants her own computer, and if she wants that to be a Windows PC, then that is what she should get.
I can understand that you prefer Macs, and there is nothing wrong with that. But this computer is not for you. It is for her. There really shouldn't be any reason for you to be upset by the type of computer that she feels would suit her own personal needs better. Nobody should ever have to force someone into a certain type of computer, nor should anyone need to be convinced or otherwise coerced into a particular purchase.

My two cents....this is a computer for HER, so let her get the computer that SHE wants. The office as you said is going to be for HER. It is only natural and equally fair that SHE get to choose what kind of computer she wants in it.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Use the best technology for the job. It sounds like she wants to use a PC.

IMHO, it's not worth a fight-- she's already told you she doesn't want to fight about it, and she's obviously seen you work with your G5 and has made the decision to stick with a PC.

Some things in life aren't worth fighting over. My vote goes for marital happiness instead of new gadgetry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
caribiner23 said:
Use the best technology for the job. It sounds like she wants to use a PC.

IMHO, it's not worth a fight-- she's already told you she doesn't want to fight about it, and she's obviously seen you work with your G5 and has made the decision to stick with a PC.

Some things in life aren't worth fighting over. My vote goes for marital happiness instead of new gadgetry.

Since u obviously want the imac, get it for yourself, and give her one of your windoze PCs. Everybody wins, no?

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am noobie in the Mac world and was a life long PC user. To get my other half turned on to the idea of our family computer becoming a mac I bought her a Ipod Video first, after a week she was so impressed with it, she was sold on a computer built by the same company.

A bit of diplomacy goes a long way. Lisa my other half was dead against the mac idea, she thought it was for posers but i really think she can see the improvement in her experience of the PC.

The only problem is we could do with another one as i tend to monopolise it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, you just have to wait these kinds of things out. When I bought my Mac it took about six months of my wife comparing the easy experience I had compared to the growing nightmare that was her XP machine (why is this crashing on me? The anti-virus thingy said it cleaned W32/killmycompy when I clicked this link? I have to boot again because you had to install ANOTHER Windows Update security patch? How do I get my computer to quit bugging me about this or that?) and so on.

Unfortunately it means you have to buy her a Windows computer for that to happen. Well, they are cheap. Be sure to get the cheapest one you can find which will subvert the experience ;)

Then it'll be like my experience: buy her the Mac, put her in front of it, show her about four things, and let her figure it out for herself. She'll probably be a die-hard Mac user in about a week. If not, you shouldn't lose too much on the resale on ebay.

Quicken is available for the Mac; not sure about Quickbooks.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Here it is, QuickBooks. And good luck on your quest, looks like you got your hands full with this one. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
macanal said:
WE just cleaned out a spare room and we are making it a office for my Mrs.
And mostly she wants her own so i dont touch it and tinker and format it all the time (and lose like heaps of crap that i always forget to backup before i fromat, she always busts my balls for that.
Now i have a G5, 3PCs and a Laptop PC which i need all of them.

So i suggest getting a Imac (buy the way she never uses my G5)
she said FLAT OUT!!! NO!!!
I said why not??

She replied
i said they are easy to use!!
She said well all i want it for is Quickbooks, office (word) Her life is on Outlook(on her work PC) and to play world poker and Tigerwoods, Farcry and Civ4 and age of Empires.

Some people have a comfort zone when it comes to computers. The like what they are familiar with. I once had a woman at my office not speak to me for about two months because I made her switch from outlook express to outlook. Also, I don't think any of those games except age of empires is available on Mac (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Civ4 is supposed to be ported some time in the next few months though.

I said Mac has office and then i had to think!?
Can i get quickbooks on the Mac? (it has to be quickbooks she wont change).
And i am not sure all those games will run that great on a Imac?(if they have em, cant upgrade a Imac graphics card!? and i am not spending all that money on another G5 just so i can)
Well at the moment she is mostly addicted to world poker which is a 10Mb game LOL.
Quickbooks is addressed above, Office for Mac is a different then its PC counterpart, there is no Outlook and it's replacement, Entourage, is very different. Also, I don't think that iMacs have upgradeable graphics cards.
So like i would like another Mac, i like the new Imacs (if she would let me touch it)
Also i tried to say" play the good games on my PC (tigerwoods, farcry) and just have the Mac in the Office for all other purposes.

She wont have a bar of that caus she said she dont want to fight with me and i will lose her game saves like i have 100 times..

So, what you are really saying is that you would prefer a new iMac that you would try to let her convince you to use. Why not just get her what she asks for and leave the ****ed thing alone? If you try and buy her something crappy so that she'll hate it and let you buy the computer that you want, do you really think she wouldn't be able to tell? She isn't stupid is she? Really, for the price of an iMac you can get a really nice PC. It seems to me that you have a choice here. Get a good PC for your wife and make her happy, or you can please yourself and **** her off.

Reaction score
Dan's advise seems a bit harsh but fair.....i take it were adopting a zero tolerance now. I can see the next Rikki Lake show caption

"Baby I love your sweet cakes, but you dont like macs so im sleeping with your mom"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I can understand how you feel in a way. It always bothers me when friends and family members of mine inefficiently use computers (such as LOADING their desktops up, running AOL period, running their screens at low resolutions because they're "used to it," et cetera), but honestly, even if I am right about those things, I just have to learn to accept that it's their decision if they want to be inefficient, and if I want to help them "see the light," shoving it down their throats isn't going to do that. Just because we know (or THINK we know) more about computers than our family/friends does not give us a right to force our ways upon them, even if we are right most of the time. Many users simply get used to doing a certain thing on their computers, without understand HOW it's really done, and just get into a rhythm. Sometimes they just don't want their rhythm interrupted, and springing a new (even if better) system on them isn't always what's best for them.

P.S. Just enjoy your PM G5. It's better than any iMac probably, anyway. Also, what on EARTH do you need four PCs for?

OP
macanal
Reaction score
Well i guess i will have to get her anothe PC!
The reason i have 4 PCs including a laptop is one is my crappy old PIII wit 256MB Ram which i use as my download machine (P2P and torrents) It crap i format it when it get full and i use XP with no SP1 or SP2 and just my download programs, no anti virus or firewall, funny thing is it never gets a virus. LOL
I have a burning tower PC with 6 DVRs. i have my Laptop for when i am on the road.then my Main windows based PC with good graphics card(for gaming and 3D and CAD apps) and all my peripherals connected. they are all networked accept for my download machine and i run my Main PC as sort of a server to with multiple raid set ups.

So i cant get a Imac for myself and give her a PC (what would i do with a Imac anyway, i have a G5, just though she would like a Mac)

So i tried again to say get a Mac and she considered it for a minute.
i said "have a go on my G5"
Then she went bonkers and said i dont know what to do? how come i cant delete that file, why cant i right click!? this is crap she said and stormed out the room>
:eek:neye: So i guess another PC then, its not worth the hassle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.