Cassets to MP3

M

monkeyboy

My mom just bought a brand new iMac and she has a lot of cassets and would like to make them all into MP3s , does anybody have any solutions on how to do this?

- monkeyboy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
You would need some kinda audio import device.... Something like this. Just plug it in, get some wires to connect a tape deck to it, and then record with something like this. I haven't used either of those products, but I have a PowerMate from Griffen Tech, and it is a quality product. Very sturdy, and looks very professional.

Hope this helps....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do you think that the Griffin Imic will work, if it is connected to 16 track mixing board? What I am trying to do, is help a friend record our Pastor sermons. We are creating cassette tapes now, but we would like to create cd also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i don't see why it wouldn't. what outputs does the 16-track have on it?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know there is an audio in/output (rca plugs). I assume that you can tap the same spot that the cassette desk is connected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Is there Simple Sound on OSX?

The way I've done it but only in OS9 - so you might be able to do this in classic or if you boot from os9 - is to buy a cord that has the ends the same and fits into the sound in port (can't remember what they're called, but they're common in electrical stores).

Plug one end into the headphone jack on the stereo and the other into the sound port. Make sure that on the sound control panel the input is set to 'sound in'.

go into simple sound and go file: new, press play on the stereo and then click record soon after.

When the file is saved, open up iTunes and convert it to an mp3.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacAddikt, I spoke with Apple and they said that the Griffin iMic would solve my problem. All I need is software, in which they suggest Roxio Toast and Jam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ive never used Jam, but i own Toast 5.1.whatever .... I've been reading about Jam though, and it seems to be a great App, and since its made by the Adaptec too, it should integrate seemlessly with Toast. It's a bit pricey since there are alot of free alternatives to mixing and cutting audio tracks. and Disc Burner is built into Mac OS X.

My suggestions :

FOR AUDIO:
-try this app before buying Jam. Audio Recorder (outdated link removed). Its free and has great reviews.

FOR BURNING:
-If the Audio Recorder app works well, then you can import them into iTunes and burn from there.

OR

-Get Toast Titanium for burning. It's only $75 for the downloadable version. It works great. and you can use a lot of it's features later on too. Like burning VCDs, DVDs, and burning sessions, which Disc BUrner and iTunes wont.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for the suggestion. i already have Toast. The Apple engineer was suggestion Jam for the mixing as you stated. I will look at Audio Recorder.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did pick up the Griffin iMic. I will try it out this weekend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How much was it?

I am interested in hearing if it works good or not.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it from Fry's Electronics for 34.95. Will update you this weekend.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried out the Griffin iMic this weekend. It worked very well. I download the freeware Final Vinyl application. I connected the iMic to 16 channel mixing board via the audio out (this is where the cassette recorder is connected). I was able to get most of the Pastor's sermon. I need to find a better application, with more control. Over all it worked very well. I will try Audio Recorder next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, there is a local Apple dealer here that has one in stock, and I was gonna pick it up, but I don't have a use for it right now. But when I do have a use for it, they won't have it in stock... So maybe I'll pick it up regardless :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Final Vinyl is okay for a free product. I looked at Audio Recorder, but did not like it. I worked with Sound Studio all day yesterday. I find it to be a better product. You can record and edit your audio tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
rman! and macaddikt.. hello hello :)

Audio recorder eh... Ive recorded plenty off my iMac speaker.. acustic guitar and vocals don't sound to shabby (with slight enhancements)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome Graphite

Can you adjust sound levels in audio recorder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.