Windows lags on new imac using bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi...I am hoping to tap into the expertise out there. My new pride and joy is a new imac. As I need to run windows programmes. I have had bootcamp set up and am running windows 7 professional.

My problem is this...when I am in windows virtually anything I do lags and can freeze...the mouse moves but to escape I need to use task manger to close applications. The tasks I am trying to do are just tests using just simple word documents for example...even sticky notes freeze and I need to use the task manager to close them.

Here's the 'stinger' though...when I take the computer to get it sorted out elsewhere...it works fine! Bring it back and the same problem. A power problem? I have tried it in different rooms...still the same issue. The mac side of things seems okay.

I am sure you will have realised by now...I am no techie...I am at a bit of loss here...any suggestions?...words of wisdom???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

It's possible your windows install is indexing files (will slow the system down, especially on a new install until fully indexed, but really should be done by now) or it's possible that it is checking for and/or installing updates in the background (assuming that it is setup to access the internet) There's always a possibility you've already gotten infected with something or have a trojan and of course there's always a possibility that it's a hardware related issue...

On a fresh install those would probably be some of the initial things I'd check (indexing, updates, virus/trojan check, hardware tests - not necessarily in that order.)

You'd probably get more suggestions answer down in the running other OS on your Mac topic area so you may want to ask a moderator/staff member to move your topic (double posting a single question isn't allowed)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.