Just got my first Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD318LL/A
Well, I decided to buy an iPod about 2 years ago to learn how general support of iPads/iPhones and the such went. I'm a computer professional of the engineering variety, but didn't like being blindsided by non-Windows devices.

To say the least I was impressed enough that a couple months back I bought an iPad. That impressed me enough, that this last Friday, I got myself a MD318LL/A MacBook Pro.

I've got to say so far I'm impressed again. Setup was easy, both of OS X and Windows 7 with bootcamp(probably one of the easiest from the dvd installs I've ever had).

So far everything has been pretty smooth sailing with learning the OS. I still have some confusion about browsing the harddrive(finder is not quite the same as explorer, eh?). But, after only a couple of days that doesn't seem like a terrible list.

I'm really looking forward to learning AppleScript and the terminal in OS X too. If anyone has any favourite sites for either of those that'd be appreciated. I'll browse through the forum later looking for similar threads.

Anyhow, I hope everyone else is enjoying their "switch" as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

And congratulations on purchasing a new MBP. Many of us (myself included) own both Mac and Windows machines. Always a pleasure for me to get back on my iMac after working with the Win box for awhile. :)

Read our forum Sticky Posts which you will find at the top of each of our separate forums. There's a wealth of information there. We are also working (our very fine editorial team) on a series of Blogs which I think you will find most helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Keep coming back with specific questions

This is a great forum, and they are always willing to help out newbies, no matter how mundane the question is

welcome aboard

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD318LL/A
Maybe just a quick question for now(hope this is an ok place for a first question). So hooked my iPad in, did an authorisation of iTunes on the macbook. Now it's telling me it needs to wipe my iPad because it already belongs to another library or the such.

I imagine there must be a way past this(computer crashes and so on), or just the for people switching primary computers and the such. I thought I had it covered with the authorising but it keeps popping up again and again.

I guess this is more of an iPad question? Never tried to move the thing before.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD318LL/A
Oh also did a transfer purchases

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That multiple library thing is an annoyance. Your iOS devices can only be synced with one library. If you try to sync with multiple machines, iTunes will wipe out what's on the device and sync in what's on the local library. If you keep two libraries exactly in-sync the end result is that you'll have the same content on your iOS device, but the sync'ing process will be long since it will wipe out everything and then restore the content..

I don't know of a way around this short of always sync'ing with one computer and library..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD318LL/A
Thanks for the info. So, if I've told it to transfer all of my purchases, will I need to do some manual backup of school pdfs and the such that weren't bought if I move it over to this machine? Figured I'd recenter everything around the macbook as it's now my fastest computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.