Received my first Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
:black: My ibook (Christmas present from Windows hubby) arrived yesterday. All I can say is Wow! I can't believe I didn't switch earlier, this is so great! It found my internet connection and my home network instantly, no hassles. The User Interface is very nice and this little iBook has been able to run everything I've thrown at it thus far. I am getting more ram this week too. My only regret it this was ordered as a stock 12" with only a 40 gig hard drive and that will easily be filled up very soon. Well off to play (again)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I also have a 12 inch ibook (typing on it right now), and I had an old windows laptop laying around that had a broken screen, so I used the hard drive out of that with an external case to store music and stuff on, and just connect it to the usb plug whenever I want to listen to music, that way the 40gb internal hard drive never fills up. Just a suggestion.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
That sounds doable! I am considering an external drive, something small that I can take with me. I work with Poser and the runtimes alone run into the 5 gig range alone. Thanks for the suggestion. I absolutely am in love with this little iBook, the keyboard is so nice to type on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
welcome to the board, yea i just recently switched to apple. i have a mac mini. I didnt take the hdd out of my laptop i just wired it to my network and used it as a shared network hard drive...easier i think. Glad your lovin the ibook, get atleat 512 ram when you get a chance. some sites like... www.powermax.com or www.macsolutions.com have ram and harddrives for a decent price. Pick up the latest MacWorld or MAcAddict mag and they have sites in there for upgrades and such.

Hope this helps ya, enjoy!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
My iBook came with 512 ram, I have ordered 512 more to boost the performance a bit. Then the scary part, I have to take the keyboard off to install it!

I thought about using an external enclosure on one of my big Windows drives and formatting it for the Mac but I want something I can take along with me.

Currently I am able to share files through the network at home. Tiger has no problems finding my other computers and hard drives. This is soo nice, i am already thinking about saving for a powerbook next!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea , im lookin to get a used ibook/ power book and get rid of the 2 windowz laptops for the sake im just using them for storage right now lol. Lacie and maxtor makes nice small compact external hdds. those sites i posted sell them plus compusa and bestbuy too, they should be universal for both win and mac os users. I love tiger, but using panther right now.

Apples are great arnt they?

What are you using your ibook for? what kind of work do you do on it?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
I am using it mainly for music, surfing the net and running Poser and Daz Studio. I've also installed Silo (a 3d modeler) as I make things to sell at Daz and Renderosity. Most of this work is better done on my Windows desktop but I wanted something portable so I didn't have to sit in front of that stupid machine all the time. I had a hard time convincing hubby (who is the one with the job) to let me buy this. He said I wouldn't like a Mac because it was limited. Limited means only----not many games.
I don't play games so no problem for me. The funny thing is, I leave the iBook in the kitchen on a table and he is the one playing with it when I get up in the morning. He found out how easily his iPod works with it and I think he is actually really liking this little beauty!!

Apples are fantastic! I wish I had known this many years ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad everythings working out great for you. yea get him into using it...make him jellous when u snatch it away from him. haha. I wish i had my mac years ago too.

Have a good day.

-justin-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12" - 1.33Ghz. 40GB, Ipod Shuffle 1GB.
Gb Space?

hi tiger 1964...I had a question for. I recently bought an Ibook g4 as well with a 40Gb harddrive. I just wanted to know that when you turned your MAC on did it say you had around 22 - 25 GB remaining. Im asking because when I bought mine it said 24Gb remaining and i was afraid I had been sold a used laptop but I was told that the Operating system uses that much space. Is this true? Please let me know and Im glad you enjoy your ibook as well. I absolutely love mine and have no complaints what so ever.

F

ForeverG5

Welcome to the good side of computing. ;) Haha, congrats on your iBook. I have one too. 12" 1.33GHz. I got a 1GB stick from http://www.newegg.com. But at Newegg, you need exact specs of the RAM. To get exact specs, visit http://www.crucial.com. :) So, now I'm at 1.5GB RAM.

I agree about the 40GB HD. I got that too. I wish I had gotten like 80GB. But I am thinking of getting an external hard drive from http://www.lacie.com or http://www.maxtor.com :) Both are reliable, popular companies.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
Yes the OS and included applications only leave 22 to 25 gigs free space! Thats enough for many users because all of the needed apps maybe already installed. LOL, not enough for me because I like to install everthing under the sun just to see if it works.

I checked the crucial site for exact specs and then bought from Newegg also! Just got the extra ram a few minutes ago from the UPS man. Now I'm absolutely terrified to put it in myself......but I'd rather build up the courage than ask my hubby for help.......he'd do it but tell me he's not a Mac guy, LOL.....wait till he sees the pink iSkin on the keyboard today....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
You could also buy yourself an iPod and you can use it as a portable external hard drive. This is what I do with my little video ipod and it's great because i can easily copy files between my laptop and computers at school and I always have them with me! Also, you don't need a power source for the ipod like many hard drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.