slow IMAC running LION

Reaction score
MY IMAC (27") is almost 3 years old and has been slow navigating within a given website. What is best for cleaning, increasing speed? Leery of various "cleaners."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I think I've heard more than one member here mention an app called Onyx. I think (to my recollection) that it's a cleaning app that helps restore natural function. Otherwise you could simply clear your cache in Safari or whatever browser you are using. Usually if one site is quite slow it's because it's a cookies problem. Sometimes it can be a server problem but if it's consistently slower then you probably need to clear your cookies/cache. Just google "clear cache in ..." and name your browser. Usually that is all that's needed to find out how to do it.

OP
S
Reaction score
I think I've heard more than one member here mention an app called Onyx. I think (to my recollection) that it's a cleaning app that helps restore natural function. Otherwise you could simply clear your cache in Safari or whatever browser you are using. Usually if one site is quite slow it's because it's a cookies problem. Sometimes it can be a server problem but if it's consistently slower then you probably need to clear your cookies/cache. Just google "clear cache in ..." and name your browser. Usually that is all that's needed to find out how to do it.

I did this once and lost my passwords and bookmarks, as I recall. Is there a way to prevent this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I did this once and lost my passwords and bookmarks, as I recall. Is there a way to prevent this?

When you clean your cache it will cause you to lose your passwords - BUT it should NOT make you lose your bookmarks. What browser do you use? Maybe I can write up some instructions for you if I knew which browser you use. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
When you clean your cache it will cause you to lose your passwords - BUT it should NOT make you lose your bookmarks. What browser do you use? Maybe I can write up some instructions for you if I knew which browser you use. :)

Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Using Onyx is the best bet. Not only will it verify and repair disk permissions, it will clean up all the clutter on your Mac. You do have checkboxes that let you choose which things to clean and which things to leave alone. Give it a shot!

OP
S
Reaction score

Using Onyx is the best bet. Not only will it verify and repair disk permissions, it will clean up all the clutter on your Mac. You do have checkboxes that let you choose which things to clean and which things to leave alone. Give it a shot!

Appreciate it, I'll check it out. I downloaded Onyx, but some of the warnings and other cautions scared me off, so I chickened out until I can get more comfortable with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.