What can I do to restore this iPhone?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here, but I will do my best to explain what I can of my problem so hopefully you can help me! :)
A friend gave me an iPhone 4 which another friend had given him. I believe the phone is bricked because it doesn't respond to any button pressing or anything and it doesn't show up in iTunes when you plug it in to the computer, but I don't know for sure. I was able to successfully get the phone in DFU mode but when iTunes prompts me to restore it and I click Restore, it says an unknown error (2001) occurred and it cannot restore. I made sure my software was up to date and I tried restarting my computer, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Update (8:28pm EST): Well I just tried it again and it now gave me error # 2006 instead of 2001. Does this make any difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,

I am new here, but I will do my best to explain what I can of my problem so hopefully you can help me! :)
A friend gave me an iPhone 4 which another friend had given him. I believe the phone is bricked because it doesn't respond to any button pressing or anything and it doesn't show up in iTunes when you plug it in to the computer, but I don't know for sure. I was able to successfully get the phone in DFU mode but when iTunes prompts me to restore it and I click Restore, it says an unknown error (2001) occurred and it cannot restore. I made sure my software was up to date and I tried restarting my computer, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Update (8:28pm EST): Well I just tried it again and it now gave me error # 2006 instead of 2001. Does this make any difference?

iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages

Update unknown error (2006)??

In that last link, someone mentions that their problem was the cable.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, I tried everything that Apple suggests on the first one and I did try using a different cable and that still didn't work. Any other ideas? Thanks again!

Update: Sorry for posting the same info twice... It didn't post right away the first time. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.