What Mac computer should I buy now?

Reaction score
I really need the help of folks here!

I haven't bought a new Mac since 2001 and am still trying to use the same two Apple G4 PPC desktops I bought then now, but despite memory upgrades 2 years ago, my machines are finally dying and I really need to buy a new Mac.

I don't know what to get now, however, because there seem to be major issues with all the new Macs - and there seem to be "don't buy now, but wait for the new version" warnings on almost all of them!

What should I do? I desperately need a new computer for both work - business apps, email, internet research, etc. AND graphic apps that definitely include CS4 and MIGHT even include some 3D...so what should I get? I need more than a beginner or student would and less than George Lucas - but I don't want to spend a lot on something that will be outdated in a few months OR already has problems, as seems to be the case with the new Mac Book Pro models with Retina display! So what should I get? Or should I just get a Mac Mini server and wait it out until all the "new and upgraded models become available?

Please help me with this! Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I haven't bought a new Mac since 2001 and am still trying to use the same two Apple G4 PPC desktops I bought then now, but despite memory upgrades 2 years ago, my machines are finally dying and I really need to buy a new Mac.

A good place to start the decision process is...do you want/need a laptop or desktop? If you're currently using two desktops...maybe another desktop is what you need.

I don't know what to get now, however, because there seem to be major issues with all the new Macs - and there seem to be "don't buy now, but wait for the new version" warnings on almost all of them!

Where are you reading this...and who's writing it? Experts...or a bunch of misinformed & unhappy users? Remember...for every unhappy user...there are 1000's of happy users!:)

What should I do? I desperately need a new computer for both work...

...but I don't want to spend a lot on something that will be outdated in a few months...

If you're currently using some 10-12 year-old Powermac G4's...how is ANYTHING you buy now going to be outdated in a few months?? You're already using WAYYYY out-dated equipment.

The bottom line is...ANYTHING you buy now will be MUCH MUCH MUCH better than what you are currently using!!!;) Even a $599 Mac-Mini will be MUCH MUCH better than what you have!!

I figure you are a good candidate for a new iMac. You just need to decide which size display (21.5" or 27").

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggests iMac if you need a desktop, MacBook if portability is the main concern. Fior your needs maybe the 27" iMac with 3.1 Quad processors and 16GB memory. Do not order with additional memory but install your own. Really the G4 is like a dinosaur in earth years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
There's ALWAYS going to be a newer model, usually within the year. If you're always waiting for the latest version, you'll end up never buying one. Just get what you need at the moment. Any recent Mac is going to be a good buy. Just decide if you want portability or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I have to agree with what everyone has said here in reply to your questions. I suggest if you are looking for a new desktop, get the iMac, if you need portability, get the Macbook Pro. There is nothing wrong with the Retina MBP, yes not all apps are optimized for it's screen capabilities yet but it's coming. I personally will be buying the Retina MBP here in about a month when my money comes in. I've never owned a top of the line notebook (or desktop) before. So this will be a real pleasure to use.

I am a laptop person, so I will only ever buy laptops from now on. But for some people, they just don't need portability but it sounds like you will need to take it to work and home, back and forth so definitely a Macbook Pro sounds more appropriate for you. They DO make MBP's without retina displays. So now all you need to decide is 13 inch or 15 inch. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
The only reason I upgraded from my 2003 G4 imac was because it wouldn't support the newer software (it still works fine) I'm not big on the bling so if I can get that long out of my current setups I'm way ahead. Go to the apple store and play with a few and buy the one that suits your needs now as nobody knows whats coming 2-3 years or longer from now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone!

I've now narrowed it down to a choice between the MBP (without retina display) and the iMac, and now need to check out the different configuration possibilities - and price differences for these - of each. An Apple tech (in the Cupertino office) told me on the phone that their facility sometimes has Macs that were never used but only displayed at various trade events for sale at up to $1000 less than retail - and that these aren't listed on the Apple website but consumers can find out about these by calling headquarters, as I did. I don't know if that info is accurate, but I'll definitely check it out.

In the meantime, I'll keep checking in here.

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
These are called refurbished and just google the model and refurbished. Such as 'iMac refurbished'. Usually save a couple of hundred, get the current operating system, comes with full 12 month warranty and you have the option of taking out AppleCare to increase this to three years, just like new models.

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
I've never owned a top of the line notebook (or desktop) before. So this will be a real pleasure to use.

I recently purchased a MBP as I have never had a top of the line computer, and WOW is all I can say. It is absolutely incredible. I just setup my parents a new asus windows 7 machine and I can honestly say I am glad I went MAC, I hope I never have to go back to stinking windows again. As soon as I got wireless internet setup on the windows machine it had 37 freakin updates it had to download, unbelievable. But I don't have to telly you guys this I just thought it was funny after I have been using a mac for about a month now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.