Oops- Found this Forum too late! Help!

Reaction score
Hi all! As many others, I have been in the PC world for years but now have a new iMac which I have managed to mess up.

When I installed it a month ago all worked well. Then I began to get occasional messages that I was not connected, but I could click on the 'connect' link and move on. But a week ago I suddenly could not bring up any web pages, not even the Safari start page. Emails continued to come it but none could be sent.
I talked with the Geek Squad on Chat but we couldn't fix it. I took the iMac back to the store and the Geek pronounced it "working perfectly" while admitting that he "wasn't really a Mac guy". I took it home and hooked it back up. Same problem. I called AT&T (we have U-Verse) and the guy came out, upgraded our U-Verse system, and replaced the wireless modem. Same problem persisted. I should mention that 2 iPads, a WinXP PC, and a MacBook Pro were/are all working fine on this same modem.
By this time I had messed with settings to the point where I don't know where I am or what to do next. :(
The machine is OSX Lion ver.10.7.4 with 4 GB memory, and 27" monitor.
I don't have many files on it so I wouldn't lose much if I could restore it to factory default settings and start over
I'll appreciate any help from you Mighty Wizards of the Mac!!

Thanks! I've already learned a lot from reading the previous posts but not enough to get things working.

John

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To start this, how is the iMac connected to your network? Wired in or Wireless?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wireless, as is the MacBook Pro. The PC is wired.

Did I pick the right way to reply? I Don't see a "reply" button.

Yes you did fine! :D

Let me think on this a bit and I will be back. You can receive email you say but not send and no Web page access?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes you did fine! :D

Let me think on this a bit and I will be back. You can receive email you say but not send and no Web page access?

Right now no mail is goi8ng either way and no web page access. I'm using the PC to access the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Are you connecting to the proper WiFi signal? In the upper right side of your menu bar, you should see the Wifi icon, which is sort of shaped like a fan. Click on it to make sure it's connected to your wifi signal and not a different one that requires a password.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you experiencing the same problems if you connect the same Mac by wire?

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you connecting to the proper WiFi signal? In the upper right side of your menu bar, you should see the Wifi icon, which is sort of shaped like a fan. Click on it to make sure it's connected to your wifi signal and not a different one that requires a password.

Yes, I am connected to the proper wifi signal - it does require a password but I've entered that. Everything shows green and the system tells me I'm connected but still no email nor web pages.

In the Netword dropdown box my IPv4 is shown as 192.168.1.5 which I rhought was right but when I go to WhatsMy IP.com it gives me 99.169.250.142. I just found this a bitago and I think it's part of the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Your network address will be different than your IP. Your network address is your personal network's IP for your computer. Your IP through ipchicken.com or What'sMyIP.com is your actual modem IP address. So it apears that' both are fine. But I'm not yet a mac user so I'm not sure what could be wrong with your mac. I'd let someone else troubleshoot as I don't have a mac here to work with. Good luck! I'm sure you will find a good answer here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are using a router. The 192.168.1.5 is the DHCP address your Router is giving the iMac. That 99.168.250.142 is the IP your ISP is giving you. A Router hides your computer IP from the rest of the world. That is working right.

It's something else. Can you show us screen shots of all your network settings?

OP
B
Reaction score
You are using a router. The 192.168.1.5 is the DHCP address your Router is giving the iMac. That 99.168.250.142 is the IP your ISP is giving you. A Router hides your computer IP from the rest of the world. That is working right.

It's something else. Can you show us screen shots of all your network settings?

I will try. I'll have to figure out how to do screen shots. What constitutes "all" of my network settings?

OP
B
Reaction score
I will try. I'll have to figure out how to do screen shots. What constitutes "all" of my network settings?

Oh, but I can't get the iMac online. I'm on a PC sitting next to it, so I don't know if it is possible to get screen shots from the iMac over to the PC so they can be posted. I could just type them into an email though - just tell me exactly what is needed.

M

MacInWin

You might also list any software you installed. In particular, any anti-virus or firewall or system improvement software. You don't need any of that on a Mac, and some of it is definitely performance killing.

OP
B
Reaction score
You might also list any software you installed. In particular, any anti-virus or firewall or system improvement software. You don't need any of that on a Mac, and some of it is definitely performance killing.

The problem is that the iMac does not access the internet - no email, no web pages. But it did so when first purchased about 6 weeks ago. The U-Verse tech was just here and made sure that everything on his end is working. Three other computers can access the internet and do email over the same router. It's just the iMac that fails..

I'll gladly post the settings or any other information that might help. Just tell me what information is needed - specifically what settings, etc. - and I'll post them.

Thanks to all for your help! I wish I was more computer-literate!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open System Preferences, Network and on Ethernet, tell us every setting and also in Advanced and the TCP/IP and DNS. Trying to see if there is something obvious wrong.

OP
B
Reaction score
Open System Preferences, Network and on Ethernet, tell us every setting and also in Advanced and the TCP/IP and DNS. Trying to see if there is something obvious wrong.

Network Settings:
Connected: WI-FI is connected to 2wire068 and has the IP address 192.168.1.5
Network Name: 2wire068

Network Settings:
Advanced: WI-FI: Network Name: 2wire068 Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
2wire341 WPA2 Personal (note from John - this is the old router that has been replaced by 2wire068)

The only thing checked is Remember networks.
WI-FI Address: 7c:c3:a1:ae:35:fe

Advanced: TCPI/IP
Config. IPv4: Using DHCP
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.254

Config. IPv6: Automatically

Advanced: DNS: DNS Servers 192.168.1.254 Gateway 2wire.net

Advanced: WNS: NetBios Name: JOHNS-IMAC
Workgroup: WORKGROUP

Advanced: 802.1X : (empty)

Advanced: Proxies: No proxies checked.
Bypass proxy settings: *local, 169.254/16

Advanced: Hardware: Mac Address (same as above, 7c:c3: etc.)
Configure: Automatically
MTU: Standard (1500)

Under DIAGNOSTICS, Network Status - all six lights are green, and on the next page it states,:"Your Internet connection appears to be working correctly."

If there are other settings I don't know where to find them.

Thank You!!.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Oh, but I can't get the iMac online. I'm on a PC sitting next to it, so I don't know if it is possible to get screen shots from the iMac over to the PC so they can be posted. I could just type them into an email though - just tell me exactly what is needed.

Take photo of screen using camera / camera phone -> post that using your PC.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank You!

Take photo of screen using camera / camera phone -> post that using your PC.

I want to thank everyone who attempted to help me get my iMac back online. The problem was traced to a conflict between ISPs. The other numbers were correct.

With regarda,

John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.