New Word Update for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
The last two updates for Word have caused nothing but problems. The first one caused Word to crash if I clicked on file/open recent. This last update will not even allow me to open word. Can someone explain to me how to uninstall the most recent updates? I would really, really appreciate it. I am a writer and my muse is screaming at me and I can't write! Ugh! :'(

Thank you in advance for ANY help you can offer. :D

Also if I am in the wrong forum please let me know, I will move it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
Hmm I don't seem to be having any problems with it. I suppose you could uninstall office and reinstall and not update it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think you have an underlying problem that is causing Word to crash. Not even Microsoft would release an update that creates a problem with such basic functionality as opening a document.

My first step would be to reinstall Office, following these steps closely:

How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011

Then, when finished, ensure your Mac is completely up-to-date by running Software Update (Apple Menu => Software Update). Then, run Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities => Disk Utility). Select your Macintosh HD volume in the left window pane, select the First Aid tab in the right pane. Run Verify/Repair Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk.

When this is through, reinstall Office 2011. Then, before you do anything in it, install all the latest updates. You should be good to go. If not, something more serious is at play here with your Mac - I'd need to know the specifics of your machine's config in order to advise you further.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
I think you have an underlying problem that is causing Word to crash. Not even Microsoft would release an update that creates a problem with such basic functionality as opening a document.

My first step would be to reinstall Office, following these steps closely:

How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011

Then, when finished, ensure your Mac is completely up-to-date by running Software Update (Apple Menu => Software Update). Then, run Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities => Disk Utility). Select your Macintosh HD volume in the left window pane, select the First Aid tab in the right pane. Run Verify/Repair Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk.

When this is through, reinstall Office 2011. Then, before you do anything in it, install all the latest updates. You should be good to go. If not, something more serious is at play here with your Mac - I'd need to know the specifics of your machine's config in order to advise you further.

Thank you for your detailed response.:)

Before I uninstall it, I do have one question. My Mac is completely up to date, I am running on Lion and using 2011 word. Word has worked just fine up until the last 2 updates. Is it possible there is something in the updates that is not compatible with my Mac? If so, wouldn't it be easier to uninstall the latest updates? Or is there no way to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is the current version you are running 14.2.3 and Updater 2.3.5?

And alas if you are having problems the only work around is the uninstall as set out in CWA107's link.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before I uninstall it, I do have one question. My Mac is completely up to date, I am running on Lion and using 2011 word. Word has worked just fine up until the last 2 updates. Is it possible there is something in the updates that is not compatible with my Mac? If so, wouldn't it be easier to uninstall the latest updates? Or is there no way to do that?

There is no way to uninstall updates to MS Office for the Mac without uninstalling the entire program. Sorry, I know that in Windows it can be done, but not in OS X.

Can you identify the last two updates? The last two that I have for Office 2011 is as Harry stated above: 14.2.3 and the installer 2.3.5. Both installed OK. It's possible that one of those updates was corrupt and has caused a problem with Office 2011. In which case you'll have to remove everything and start over.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the current version you are running 14.2.3 and Updater 2.3.5?

And alas if you are having problems the only work around is the uninstall as set out in CWA107's link.

This is the error message it gives me when I try to open Word, before it crashes. I am such a blonde today (and I am actually blonde so I can say that)-- I should have posted this right off. I'm sorry.

Let me know if this helps at all, and if not *sigh* I will uninstall.

:Angry-Tongue:
Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2012-07-22 23:35:42 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Version: 14.2.3.120616
Crashed Module Name: CoreFoundation
Crashed Module Version: 635.21
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00007921
Blame Module Name: MicrosoftComponentPlugin
Blame Module Version: 14.2.3.120616
Blame Module Offset: 0x0006b9ea
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no way to uninstall updates to MS Office for the Mac without uninstalling the entire program. Sorry, I know that in Windows it can be done, but not in OS X.

Can you identify the last two updates? The last two that I have for Office 2011 is as Harry stated above: 14.2.3 and the installer 2.3.5. Both installed OK. It's possible that one of those updates was corrupt and has caused a problem with Office 2011. In which case you'll have to remove everything and start over.

Whoops! Just saw this after I responded to the prior comment. Okay, I will uninstall at about 6 PST unless I hear differently from you guys after you see the error report. :) Again, thank you so much for your help.

I can over to the Macside a little over a year ago, so I am still trying to break those nasty PC habits.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, you're right. The error report indicates that the 14.2.3 update is what's causing the crashes. Be sure to use the uninstall instructions you received earlier from cwa107 by going to the MS link and following their step by step instructions. Removal will not remove your documents or templates. All your previous work should remain intact.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, you're right. The error report indicates that the 14.2.3 update is what's causing the crashes. Be sure to use the uninstall instructions you received earlier from cwa107 by going to the MS link and following their step by step instructions. Removal will not remove your documents or templates. All your previous work should remain intact.

I love the should remain intact. Just in case I am going to do a quick back up. Because that would really, really suck. LOL

All right! Wish me luck and I will be back to report! *crosses fingers*

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very smart blonde! Better safe than sorry. Let us know how it went. :)

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very smart blonde! Better safe than sorry. Let us know how it went. :)

Okay, I got to step 3. I am inside the library, where am I supposed to be looking for the com.microsoft files? Just in the library or do I need to be in a particular folder?

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Figured it out. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Part of the problem is the hidden library folder. Let's unhide the thing and see if that helps. Follow along.....

Open your terminal application. (Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app)

Type in the following and then press enter: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Exit the terminal application. The user library folder should now be in plain view from the Finder.

To get to preferences, Navigate to:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2011/

Let me know if that helps.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Part of the problem is the hidden library folder. Let's unhide the thing and see if that helps. Follow along.....

Open your terminal application. (Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app)

Type in the following and then press enter: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Exit the terminal application. The user library folder should now be in plain view from the Finder.

To get to preferences, Navigate to:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2011/

Let me know if that helps.

Hey! Thanks for answering so quickly. I found Microsoft under Application Support. So, I found the Microsoft folder, the office folder, but it does not have a year listed. Do I just put the office folder in the trash?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Whatever you find that says Microsoft in the user Library folder, drag it to the Trash. You should also have a folder that says "Office 2011" as I indicated above.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Whatever you find that says Microsoft in the user Library folder, drag it to the Trash. You should also have a folder that says "Office 2011" as I indicated above.

I must be blind because I don't see it. I am assuming everything highlighted goes? (I know Microsoft and office need to go to, just missed it in the highlight.)

Try this: Screen Shot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen shot didn't show up. Anything that relates to Microsoft that's in your user library folder can be deleted. Generally that includes everything under Application Support and Preferences. Here's a run down of what I show for Office 2011:

/Users/your name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/

/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/

/Users/your name/Documents/Microsoft User Data/

By removing those folders above, that will likewise remove all the sub folders beneath them. Don't worry about the Plist files as they will be overwritten anyway when you reinstall.

Also be sure to remove all the stuff that's in the main library folder. But that should be easy to find.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen shot didn't show up. Anything that relates to Microsoft that's in your user library folder can be deleted. Generally that includes everything under Application Support and Preferences. Here's a run down of what I show for Office 2011:

By removing those folders above, that will likewise remove all the sub folders beneath them. Don't worry about the Plist files as they will be overwritten anyway when you reinstall.

Also be sure to remove all the stuff that's in the main library folder. But that should be easy to find.

I just fixed the link, but your explanation is very clear...cross your fingers! Here we go.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Do I need to delete fonts, receipts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.