How do battery cycles work on a mac?

Reaction score
what i usually do is i use my battery one hour a day ( down to 80 %) then i charge it again once a week, does that count as one cycle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
what i usually do is i use my battery one hour a day ( down to 80 %) then i charge it again once a week, does that count as one cycle?

Basically 1 cycle can be made up of any number of charges which add up to 100%.

Thus charging from 80% to 100% = 20%, from 90% to 100% = 10% and so on, adding each charge percentage up until you score 100. Each cycle wears a battery down by a small amount so a partial discharge before charge is better than a full discharge.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also note that battery charge levels and health are not an exact science. The cycle count is based on "educated guesses" made by your computer's Systems Management Controller (or SMC, for short). It is helpful to periodically "calibrate" your battery by using the machine until it goes to sleep on its own (i.e. completely out of battery power) and doing a full recharge before you use the machine again.

More information is available here:

Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.