What type of windows to install on Mac Air?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new Mac user... I just bought a new Mac Air, dual core, 1,8GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB HD. I need to use some apps that only run on Windows. So I bought Parallels and that seems to be working fine. However, I would like you guys to help me choose which Windows should I install...? I know that 4GB is not much, so what is the best choice?

Just to add, I don`t want to play games, make videos or any graphics. Those apps I need usually simple office apps...

Thanks a lot!

Slurpee

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any version of Windows that supports those apps you wish to run would be OK to install as a VM with Parallels. You will, however, need a full install version not an upgrade. Having said that.... it's best to install Windows 7. I have full install versions of Windows dating back to Windows 98 but I chose to use a new full install version of Windows 7.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks!

I have full version of W7, so I will install it... Is 1,5 GB RAM enough for them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on which apps you intend to run in Parallels. But I would think that 2 GB of memory dedicated to the VM should suffice for even the most demanding app. When you shut the VM down the memory will be given back to OS X.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, thanks! I will try 1,5GB and if it is not enough, I will raise it to 2 GB. Those apps are not very demanding...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.