• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Images of iPad prototype "Surface"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
As some of you will know, Apple - via Sir Jonny Ive, I think, not sure on that though - recently released some images of their original "035" tablet computer mock-up dating from 2002.

I was perusing this article at SlashGear, looking through all the pictures, and suddenly remembered one of the design features the Microsoft people had been so excited about during their Surface keynote; an all-round peripheral air vent slot, allowing the device to maintain ventilation no matter where the user held it, billed as a major innovation...

enhanced-buzz-wide-29946-1342646207-5-580x309.jpeg

...well, this is awkward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
First off... shame on you for luring me in with that title! BAD Ctrl-Opt-Del! BAD! That said, I can't fault MS for stealing this particular idea, it's a great one if implemented properly. And from the looks of the Surface, it seems as though it might just be. And the important part is that it will need it for the Pro version, what with that processor and all... I say whatever, if it works... go with it. Unless of course it will get your pants pulled down in a major law suit.

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
First off... shame on you for luring me in with that title! BAD Ctrl-Opt-Del! BAD!
Sorry, I was just trying to go for "witty pun", but - in hindsight - I can see how it was a little unintentionally trollish :p

That said, I can't fault MS for stealing this particular idea, it's a great one if implemented properly. And from the looks of the Surface, it seems as though it might just be. And the important part is that it will need it for the Pro version, what with that processor and all... I say whatever, if it works... go with it. Unless of course it will get your pants pulled down in a major law suit.
It was your final sentence there I was thinking of. Given Apple's propensity towards trying to patent certain case/chassis shapes & geometries (to such a degree of generality that even quite a few people on this site reacted with incredulity to said cases), I wouldn't be surprised if these images are soon in court again being used as proof of "prior art" in an Apple vs. Microsoft / iPad vs. Surface lawsuit; as this is a case where even the most hardened Apple critic would have to admit that Microsoft's "innovation" has been done years before, and that it is actually a clear piece of engineering design IP, not some argument about the brand-identifiablity of certain corner radii...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.