Best printer compatibility w/ mac pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Looking for a new printer since our 4th " high quality" top of the line all-in-one HP stopped feeding paper. Now its a useless brick like the other 3 HP's.

I've had several computer servicemen over to setup printers, yet we have never had good success with HP printers ,scanners, fax machines.

I want a printer that works wirelessly all the time, just not for a few months before an update ruins it.

The ability to scan to email or desktop, wireless.
Instead of faxes being printed out by the hundreds and wasting gallons of ink. Have them goto my email or somewhere I can review them before they print. I used to have this on my 1st mac with a software program.
Apple store is claiming HP is the best, yet all the reviews say VERY different. Cannon, epson artisan 837 looks good. I just want something that works good for pics, fax, scan, print,copy.....less than $300.00. I spent big money before to no avail. Thanks for any advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi Plummer . . .
Sorry, I don't have a recommendation...I just want to join in with you on your quest for a "high quality" printer needing the same features as you. I, too, have been burned by HP and their top of the line all-in-ones...twice. I purchased both their 8500 and 8600 (which was supposed to have fixed the issues with the 8500) series and both stopped feeding paper and give false "out of paper" alarms. HP quality and service and support have failed miserably over the last few years. So can anyone help the two of us?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is HP still putting an "expiration date" on the ink cartridges for their ink-jet printers? If so...this is why I will NEVER buy another HP ink-jet printer.

The wife & I currently have a perfectly operational HP ink-jet printer...and because we don't do a ton of printing...the ink cartridges have gone past their "expiration date"...even though they are still probably 50-75% full.

We are certainly not going to buy more ink cartridges just because the current ones (not empty)...are past an expiration date. We actually have brand new unopened replacement cartridges...and they're past the expiration date as well (so they won't work either)!!!:Angry:

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are numerous discount outlets on the web that sell ink cartridges for HP, Canon, Epson, and so forth. You can purchase third party ink cartridges for HP that do not expire nor do they have the HP "chip" embedded in them. The only difference in using them is that you can not tell from the HP utility the cartridge is low or empty. Big deal! When the color no longer prints, change the cartridge. A no brainer. :)

We go through color cartridges like crazy when we do our weekly bulletins and flyers. By using third party cartridge re-sellers we save a considerable amount of $$ every month. I also buy toner the same way for our Laser Jet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I went and got an expensive HP all in one - that lasted all of a year before it wouldn't print anymore. Before that I had always had a Canon printer which lasted 5-6 years at a clip. Lately everyone has been putting chips into their ink including Canon so getting 3rd party refills is getting harder for any of the printers.

Anyway - I went back to Canon and bought an Airprint capable printer
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GOPXRA/?tag=macforums0e4-20
This is working quite well for printing and simple scanning. It has Airprint so any iOS device can print to it. It also has Bonjour so anything with Bonjour running is really easy to setup as well.

If you are doing a lot of scanning and need a fax - then I like the mx series
Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MX892 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax: Electronics
It has an ADF. I have the older version of this that doesn't have airprint - still is a good all in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had great luck with HP still using the 6380 and I know its around 3yrs old or older.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can get most any printer to work as "airprint" with your iOS devices by using Printopia. I got Printopia as part of a Mac bundle which included it along with 9 other useful apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I recently bought a Brother printer and I have to say it works well with my mbp. We had an older Dell printer and it wouldn't do anything with my mac so I started shopping. For the money I paid it seems to do a bang up job. I have not utilized all of the features on it yet, but for wireless printing it does great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
A simple search on Google will reveal a multitude of professional reviews on all manner of printers. Taking a little time to read all those that are relevant to your needs will reap rewards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Is HP still putting an "expiration date" on the ink cartridges for their ink-jet printers? If so...this is why I will NEVER buy another HP ink-jet printer.

The wife & I currently have a perfectly operational HP ink-jet printer...and because we don't do a ton of printing...the ink cartridges have gone past their "expiration date"...even though they are still probably 50-75% full.

We are certainly not going to buy more ink cartridges just because the current ones (not empty)...are past an expiration date. We actually have brand new unopened replacement cartridges...and they're past the expiration date as well (so they won't work either)!!!:Angry:

- Nick

Is that why the utility on my HP Photosmart Premium told me I was totally out of ink when I'd hardly used them? They surely can't do that can they...this printer is costing me a fortune to run for barely any output?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Using an Epson Workforce 845 and couldn't be happier with it. Works like advertised and does everything I want it to. Including Wireless scanning which is a godsend.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Epson, hook it up and done, simply the best by far end of story for now. We have the Epson Artisan 837 and everything works VERY EASY THE FIRST TIME. Scanning, printing, OMG pictures, fax. Send it anywhere with 1 button touch or click. By far way easier to navigate, customize and understand , so much so that my 5 year old ( as long as he understands what he reads) can use it. I've only had it for a couple weeks so far so we will see. We had the HP 7280 and it was a hassle from day 1, difficult to navigate to block junk faxes, if they took. Scan to the computer, it did with difficulty many moons ago, till HP updates wiped that out. No driver support for our machine and any of our mac puters & lap tops. Many many many hours with HP idiot tech support trying to get a simple fax or scan doc to the screen or save anywhere but in the useless HP itself or external drive. Picture quality on the HP is about a 1 out of 10 compared to the Epson. And yes if you dare use an expired ink in your HP it will leak and it will then warn you of damage that will not be covered under the useless warranty. Funny that it works in another printer fine( atleast for the couple prints I did) 1 day later after 1 copy printed with expired ink and it won't feed paper anymore, the paper gear won't engage to feed, not because something is broken but because the unit shut itself out. It has to be taken to a service center reset and it will work again, so we were told. This is our 6th HP in 12 years between office and home. Nothing but difficulty with everyone, except the unit that was meant for pictures only. We've always bought the top of the line HP's "thinking" we were getting a good product. Heck even the MORONS ( not the experts in back ) at the Apple store swore up and down to buy the HP. Well after a 60 minute educational lesson they couldn't get anything to work either, till we plugged in the Epson, bam everything worked 1st try. Now to be honest, I am a great plumber, but su.... with computers. When I spend big money I expect the best and the best means easy for dummies like me with top quality results. This might not be the case for everyone, but there are far too many reviews that 100% agree with my statements. Even in direct conflict with what the apple store "kids" say. Even the apple website reviews agree with me. To date I haven't received 1 junk fax, the last week the HP worked I had 37, that alone is a huge ink savings. So if your dumb like me , want high quality and easy then its a no brainer if you own a book pro, IPAD, IPHONE, IMAC, sony windows stuff, toshiba lap top windows stuff, and a mini verizon something my sister also has, thats all we've actually used on it so far. Even the neighbor used ours from 100' away go figure....

HP 7280 brick for sale in like new condition 28 months old, lots of spare ink except for black, ah forget it, I don't have the conscience to do that to someone, especially from here.......O:)

Reaction score
HP 8710 Office Jet is an excellent low price all in one printer with built in WIFI and Ethernet, and long life ink cartridges that can print up to 3000 pages with the XL cartridges. I have never had any issue's using the HP Office Jet's with Mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
HP 8710 Office Jet is an excellent low price all in one printer with built in WIFI and Ethernet, and long life ink cartridges that can print up to 3000 pages with the XL cartridges. I have never had any issue's using the HP Office Jet's with Mac

Thanks very much for the printer recommendation.:)

- Nick

p.s. Didn't know if it was noticed...5 year old thread.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.