Help - G5 doesn't stay asleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
Most mornings, I get up, I go on my G5, do some stuff (checking email, etc.), and then I put it to sleep by pressing the power button, and it goes to sleep; it doesn't make noise and the LED is pulsating smoothly. So I go to work thinking my computer is sound asleep. Or so I thought. But when I come home to get back on the computer, it's already awake. There is nobody else in the house during the day. In Energy Saver preferences, it's not set to wake up on a schedule, or network activity, or anything like that. The only possible thing I can think of (aside from something being wrong with the computer) is that the cat could be walking across the desk, and inadvertently steps on the keyboard or mouse.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
corysw said:
Most mornings, I get up, I go on my G5, do some stuff (checking email, etc.), and then I put it to sleep by pressing the power button, and it goes to sleep; it doesn't make noise and the LED is pulsating smoothly. So I go to work thinking my computer is sound asleep. Or so I thought. But when I come home to get back on the computer, it's already awake. There is nobody else in the house during the day. In Energy Saver preferences, it's not set to wake up on a schedule, or network activity, or anything like that. The only possible thing I can think of (aside from something being wrong with the computer) is that the cat could be walking across the desk, and inadvertently steps on the keyboard or mouse.

Does anyone know what's going on?

yeah, mine has done that too... do you have a UPS for your mac? It could be a power blink or undervolt in that case... some UPSs are very sensitive and react to tiny changes in the line voltage, like when your furnace fan or another appliance kicks on.

If no UPS, then, I'm not sure, but I'd like to kno since i have experienced a similar thing once or twice.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
I don't think I have a UPS. There's no external hardware related to power supply that I know of. It is connected to a surge protector though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.