Moving Files Without Them Automatically Alphabetising

zmw

Reaction score
Hi, I am having trouble with organising videos on my MacBook Pro. I have probably 100 videos that I have renamed and put into chronological order. However, they each come from separate folders so I drag and drop them collectively over a new folder which I want to put them all in. When I open the folder, they are no longer in the chronological order I put them in but are in alphabetical order. This is SO frustrating as I then need to do it all again. It would not be such a problem but I do this process regularly. It hasn't always done this and I would like to know how to stop it or what has started it.
Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OS X 10.6.8 | 3rd gen iPod
I would suggest renaming the videos with the date at the beginning as the best overall solution. That way when it alphabetizes, it will put them in chronological order. However, if these are the types of files that were created in the same chronological order as the videos were taken, vids taken with your camera for example, simply drag them all over, right click, and choose Arrange By->Date Created.

Best of luck!

OP
Z

zmw

Reaction score
I would suggest renaming the videos with the date at the beginning as the best overall solution. That way when it alphabetizes, it will put them in chronological order. However, if these are the types of files that were created in the same chronological order as the videos were taken, vids taken with your camera for example, simply drag them all over, right click, and choose Arrange By->Date Created.

Best of luck!
Thanks, I did think of that but I am really obsessive compulsive over it, which is why I spend so long organising these series in the first place, it is not because I could find the videos easier because I could find them fine anyway, but because I physically cannot leave them that way. I wish I was different but thats obviously the way my brain works. I think there must be a way to turn it off because it suddenly started doing it. Thank-you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can use Arrange By as suggested or hold option and it will change to Sort By - select one of the date options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It seems that the OP is saying the files were arranged chronologically by brute force, i.e., manually. Why? Finder will do that for you. I must be missing something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.