Mac Mail

Reaction score
Hello folks, new user here spending my first day on my new iMac. My first pc was a commodore 64 and this is my first mac, so long time windows user. Anyway so far no real complaints, enjoying myself some and its definately a pretty environment.

Anyway the question is anyone had any trouble getting mac mail to integrate with Cpanel hosted email accounts.
I have tried setting up as I would in outlook as a pop3 account and downloading the auto configure file supplied by cpanel for imap.

What ever i try I cannot send or receive emails and even stranger when I email myself from a gmail account it tells me the email cannot be sent as if the account does not work/is misconfigured.
Which is impossible as I was using it moments ago on my win pc.....
all help appreciated
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Cpanel isn't supported by Mac OSX See System Requirements | cPanel, Inc. . You might have to run Windows through Bootcamp or a VM to get Cpanel to work.

Oh and welcome to the forums. Be sure to return if you have any other questions.

C

chas_m

I'm not familiar with CPanel so this is probably a dumb question, but what kind of blankety-blank stupid blankety-blank idiotic programmer came up with the idea of an email account that doesn't adhere to standards??

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks.
Perhaps I am confusing things with this talk of cpanel. Cpanel is only a control panel for linux based hosting platforms. It is used by host gator and many other massive suppliers the email accounts are for all intents and purposes pop3 accounts. I mentioned cpanel as it may be my problems stem from an account setting in hosting package.

My issue is that the email accounts work fine in outlook but using the same settings do not work in mac mail. I am sure I will work it out though, if i find a question worth asking I will be sure to do so.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay well its all making more sense now but remains frustrating to me.

The email account in question has a gmail account attached so for example [email protected] is a google apps email accounts (allowing me portability across any pc). The account thats giving me trouble is [email protected] which is a pop3 email account on a server.
For some reason mac mail is deciding to default my settings to google pop3 or imap for the info account and not allowing me to use a "normal" pop3 setting. A case of mac mail being to smart for my own good it seems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.