Running XP on the new Mac Mini

Reaction score
So I've been trying to get XP working on a new mac mini for a few days, and I'm getting pretty close, but it's been a pretty involved process. Lion no longer supports XP, so I had to reboot onto an XP install disk after creating a windows 7 flash drive.

All this worked fine, but now I'm having some trouble locating drivers for the computer. I tried using the snow leopard install disk, but the drivers are out of date for my mac (don't work at all.)

Does anyone have suggestions on where I could find these drivers, or on how I should be going about this?

Here's some pertinent info on the machine:

Broadcom 57765-B0: Ethernet Controller

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GX30N: DVD RW

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB Graphics Card

Let me know if you need anything else in order to assist me. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your new Mac Mini can only run Windows 7 as there are no XP or Vista drivers for the updated hardware that your Mini uses. Why do you need to run XP?

If some reason XP is a necessity, run it in a VM by installing either VMWare Fusion, Parallels, or the free VirtualBox.

OP
G
Reaction score
I work in a small tech department, and we were hoping to deploy the minis to replace some older hardware that our users are working on. Unfortunately, since we're replacing PCs, we want to keep them in the same environment. We could install windows 7, but XP is far more preferable for their comfort and from a support perspective, since it's what they're familiar with. Are there actually no drivers? I find this hard to believe. Apple isn't the only company that uses this hardware, they don't manufacture it themselves.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, but it's a fact. Apple hardware since late 2010 (all desktops and notebooks) are compatible with only Windows 7. Keep in mind that Apple hardware for the most part is proprietary and Apple supplies the drivers in order for the hardware to be able to run Windows.

Progress moves on. I've used XP for years but much prefer Windows 7 which in my opinion is far superior to XP. Again as I mentioned above, the only way to run XP on those new Minis is to deploy VM software and load XP that way. However, that can further complicate things for your users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.