Battery help

Reaction score
My macbook pro is 2 days old and on the battery bar it says 4 hours and 30 minutes compared to the supposed 7 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
7 hours is the MAX. The actual battery time will depend on many things. I've personally never seen a 7 hour run time, and doubt I ever will.

C

chas_m

Actually, let's go straight to the source on this one:

apple.com/macbook-pro

Says here UP TO seven hours, and says it comes by that figure: "Wireless web testing conducted by Apple in May 2012 using preproduction 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro units and preproduction 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7–based 13-inch MacBook Pro units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 50%. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See Apple - Batteries for more information."

So there's your answer, Retake. You can get better than 4.5 hours, but it depends VERY heavily on what you're doing, what services you have turned on (for example: using Bluetooth? No? Turn it off.) and what screen brightness you have set (mine is NEVER above 50 percent and frequently below that). In the test, a MBP that was just wirelessly websurfing at 50 percent brightness got seven hours. If you have the time, why not try to replicate the test (you could probably use a script -- or an intern -- to mindlessly surf all day for you). :)

Reaction score
I too have a brand new 2 day old macbook pro 13" i7. fully charged, i unplugged it at 7:45pm, it's now 10:00pm and i'm at 15%! brightness is at or below 50% and i've been doing basic web browsing and itunes. starting to think i have a defective macbook here. 3 hours on battery?!

C

chas_m

As I mentioned above, make sure you're not running things in the background that you're not aware of, turn off Bluetooth if you are not using it, and try just doing the surfing (no iTunes, and no Flash websites) from a FULLY charged state (hint: the moment the battery hits "100%" is not the same thing as fully-charged. Try an overnight charge.)

Report back and let us know how that went. If you got a lot closer to seven hours, then we have an answer. If you got closer to three hours, then I'd say yes, the battery is defective.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.