Macmini installation discs

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have a macmini dual core intel running on 10.4.11 and need to upgrade to 10.5. However I am having trouble obtaining installation discs. I have bought discs from Internet with the supplier saying that the discs would install ok. Not so, the discs read on them" for mac computers 10.5.6 osx and failed to install. I have since found they were for MacBook . Although there are mac computers in the household they all pretty recent. What do I need to purchase and where from, as I am at a complete loss over the terminology

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
10.5 Leopard disks are still quite pricey, even second hand. You need retail discs, not grey restore disks that are machine specific. On that model you could upgrade to Snow leopard, 10.6 which is available for $30 or less from Apple or ebay

Make sure you get the retail disks with the Snow leopard picture

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Get Snow Leopard like Louis suggested. It's a much more sound OS than 10.5 is. Boots faster, and very stable.

OP
B
Reaction score
Snow Leopard

10.5 Leopard disks are still quite pricey, even second hand. You need retail discs, not grey restore disks that are machine specific. On that model you could upgrade to Snow leopard, 10.6 which is available for $30 or less from Apple or ebay

Make sure you get the retail disks with the Snow leopard picture

Thank you both for your prompt reply. Are you saying that I needn't purchase 10.5 but download snow leopard. I have read various blogs saying that leopard has to be downloaded first, is this untrue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you both for your prompt reply. Are you saying that I needn't purchase 10.5 but download snow leopard. I have read various blogs saying that leopard has to be downloaded first, is this untrue.

You don't download Snow Leopard...you buy an install disk from the Apple Store.

Just buy the Snow Leopard disk...you don't need Leopard 10.5 (which wasn't/isn't downloadable either).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.